"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 05-14-2006, 12:59 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Basic cake making

Okay, so to learn making cakes i tried out a basic butter cake at first. I think I used too much butter at first... So it came out real bad. Now is the second time i am making one...
1 cup butter
1 cup milk
1 egg
3 cups flour
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
2 teaspoon vanilla essence

Is this right? Something wrong with it? I am currently creaming the butter and sugar and it just won't cream. It's really grainy... Does this mean i need more butter?

Old 05-14-2006, 06:41 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Below is a recipe for a very basic, delicious cake. You can check the amounts of your ingredients against this. My first thoughts of your recipe were that there wasn't enough sugar, and not enough egg. Is this a recipe you found? Or are you trying to formulate your own?

Re 'creaming' the butter and sugar; yes, it will be grainy until you add the eggs and other ingredients. It could also be grainy depending on the type of sugar you use. There is 'fine' granulated sugar, and 'extra-fine'; I always use the extra-fine when baking.

1-2-3-4 Cake

1 cup (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
3 cups sifted self-rising flour
1 cup milk
2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour 3 (9-inch) cake pans. Using an electric mixer, cream butter until fluffy. Add sugar and continue to cream well for 6 to 8 minutes. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Add flour and milk alternately to creamed mixture, beginning and ending with flour. Add vanilla and continue to beat until just mixed. Divide batter equally among prepared pans. Level batter in each pan by holding pan 3 or 4 inches above counter, then dropping it flat onto counter. Do this several times to release air bubbles and assure you of a more level cake. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until done. Cool in pans 5 to 10 minutes. Invert cakes onto cooling racks. Cool completely and spread cake layers with your favorite frosting to make a 3-layer cake.

Old 05-14-2006, 06:47 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Where did you get your recipe? It doesn't seem to have nearly enough egg. Otherwise it is essentially the same as the 1-2-3-4 cake since that one is using self rising flour which contains the soda and baking powder.
Are you using a mixer to cream your butter and sugar? It may be a little grainy but with enough mixing it will be smooth.
Baking is very much based on chemistry and you really cannot just add more of an ingredient on a whim or guess.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I don't remember anymore, i think i just cut down because i did not have enough. Anyway, can anyone post a picture of what consistency a spongey cake batter should be like?
Old 09-10-2006, 10:14 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardor
it came out real bad
When you say, it came out bad, could you be more specific ??? Like, what exactly did it do ?
Old 09-10-2006, 07:00 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcast
When you say, it came out bad, could you be more specific ??? Like, what exactly did it do ?
It fell on itself and was as greasy as bacon.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ardor
I am currently creaming the butter and sugar and it just won't cream. It's really grainy... Does this mean i need more butter?
No, it means that you need to beat it longer, 5 minutes or more in an electric mixer at fairly high speed. It will cream sooner or later.

Have the ingredients at room temperature before beating them.

Also, make sure the bowl is not too large for the ingredients -- if the beaters aren't mixing the butter and sugar well, it will take forever.

BTW, proper creaming of the butter and sugar is one of the most important steps in making a cake. Failure to do so will adversely affect the texture of the cake.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:46 PM   #8
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Chef_Jen Send a message via Yahoo to Chef_Jen
may i give you my famous cake i use it for everything and every cake base i need

1lb flour
1lb sugar
1lb butter
8 eggs
vanilla

cream butter and sugar
add vanilla
add flour mix
add eggs ONE at a time :)

you can add cocoa flavouring etc but it makes a nice spongy pound cake.. I use this base for jam and coconut sponge marble cake maderia cake etc
Old 09-10-2006, 08:42 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Chef jen,I noticed no baking powder in recipe.How is the texture of the cake.It sounds like a great recipe for high altitude baking.
Old 09-10-2006, 08:58 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Extra fine granulated sugar will work a lot better on cakes. Usually, cakes call for 3 to 4 eggs, baking powder and SIFTED flour. Make sure you have sifted the flour for a fluffy texture and try not to overmix the batter. OVERMIXING can ruin the cake overall. Good luck!

Tags
None