Bavarian cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
How do you tell the difference between bavarian cream and boston cream and custard when looking at them?

Bavarian cream is the heaviest of the three. Then comes Boston Cream and last is the custard. The difference is in the number of eggs used with the cornstarch for thickening. Bavarian uses heavy cream, Boston cream uses light cream and custard uses milk. :angel:

Would bav. Cream have a liquor in it? I think I had some and didn't like bav. Cream bec. Of the flavor?

The donut shops around here all say bav. Cream is the same as custard. Same filling not two different things. Grandma wants a true custard donut and now being told bav. Cream is it when she says its not? Does any one know if they make a true custard or is it all bav. Cream these days? ...thanks

Last edited:
I know what is said here on the forum..... But is it very poss. Now a days there is no difference in bav. Cream and custard.....they are the same.

The donut shops around here all say bav. Cream is the same as custard. Same filling not two different things. Grandma wants a true custard donut and now being told bav. Cream is it when she says its not? Does any one know if they make a true custard or is it all bav. Cream these days? ...thanks

If I said to you, I have a dessert recipe from Bavaria or Vienna, or one from Boston, which one sounds like it may be richer to you? There is a distinct difference between Bavarian Cream and plain custard. The donut shops can call it anything they want to. It doesn't mean it is true. A true Bavarian Crème has alcohol in it. A plain custard doesn't. Which would you feed to your three month old baby? What you find in the donuts is made from a powdered product that the donut shop buys in 50 pound bags. On the outside of the bag the words are very clear. "Powdered Custard Cream Product." It can be mixed with milk or water. I am afraid if you are looking for a true Bavarian Crème doughnut, you will have to go to a very upscale doughnut shop in an expensive shopping mall. Or in the tea room at a Ritz Hotel. :angel:

Last edited:
In Germany it would occasionally have, depending on the chef, Asbach brandy or Cognac. Depending on where you are in Germany. In north america....its just plain custard most of the time. Not even close.

Worked in Bakeries for years, married a baker...the "Bavarian Creme" in donuts and cakes comes out of the same bag as the custard, sometimes they would add an imitation alcohol flavor to make it a bit different. The only difference is the name printed on the product.

Back
Top Bottom