"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 08-14-2012, 05:54 AM   #11
Executive Chef
Site Moderator
Look up the Crumbboss swiss buttercream. It is a variation on Swiss Meringue Buttercream. It is very fluffy less sweet and heavy than a traditional Wilton style. A traditional Swiss meringue buttercream can taste like you are eating sweet whipped butter, but this one has been switched up a bit, making it a bit sweeter but not as sweet and heavy as wilton. This is a technique driven recipe and not as simple as the wilton recipe, but worth the effort. Like all fat based icings it is best served at room temperature.

I'm Bloggin'

bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:20 AM   #12
Master Chef
To take the Hershey's frosting recipe over the top, Combine the powdered sugar with the milk first. This dissolve the sugar so as to remove all graininess from the frosting. Then add the remaining ingredients and mix until silky smooth. Now, take 1/2 of the frosting and freeze it for later use. Mix 1 cup of Nutella Hazelnut Spread with the remaining frosting. It jsut doesn't get any better than that.

Another fabulous frosting is to make a ganache with cream and 70% cacao tempered chocolate. Cool and add the Nutella.

Ganache recipe:
10 oz. dark chocolate
3/4 cup heavy cream

Place the cream into a double boiler over medium heat. Break the chocolate into the cream. Stir until the chocolate is melted and blended completely into the cream. Blend in the Nutella and let cool.

Ganache with Raspberry
Same as above, but don't add the Nutella. Instead, when the ganache is cooled, swirl in seedless raspberry jam. Use as frosting.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

“No amount of success outside the home can compensate for failure within the home…"

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:14 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
Welcome to DC! I'm not big on sweets, so I don't make frosted cakes or cupcakes very often. I do like ganache for a triple-chocolate-raspberry cake that I make for the DH's birthday. And, I do like a bit of cayenne added to the Hershey's frosting, and a sprinkle of a coarse sea salt on top.

I've got OCD--Obsessive Chicken Disorder!
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote