"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-11-2011, 10:26 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnieDrews View Post
You're welcome. Now do me a favor and get some regular granulated sugar for your next baking. I'm no baking expert, but I do know that you will have much better results.

And stick with the cream cheese frosting....it is the traditional red velvet cake frosting.
Agree x 2....changing a crucial ingredient like the type of sugar used that alters the consistency of the batter can make or break a recipe like that. Remember that powdered sugar has cornstarch in it, so you're introducing a whole new element. Def get some granulated sugar.

Old 02-11-2011, 04:15 PM   #32
Master Chef

Site Moderator

Agree X3.

You cannot exchange granulated sugar for powdered sugar in recipes like this.

Old 02-12-2011, 01:39 PM   #33
Assistant Cook

Thanks all :)

I agree X4 aswell, just please note that I did use granulated sugar for the last cake.
:)

Im still tied with the frosting though.
Some say cream cheese is the traditional, while I read in many other places that boiled flour and milk was traditional. I guess I'll still have to look into this :).

Mascorpone tastes good too though :) Slightly sweeter than cream cheese.
Old 02-13-2011, 12:15 PM   #34
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by FincaPerlitas View Post
I don't like Paula's recipe at all - not enough cocoa, too much oil and not enough red food coloring to give the deep rich red color that I want in my red velvet cake. Of the recipes you have, to me this one is the best: Cupcakes: Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe . The only modification to it I'd make is to increase the baking soda to 1 1/2 teaspoons.

PS: I don't bake much any more but have made red velvet cake (not cupcakes) countless times over the past forty years. The blogspot recipe is a pretty good one in my opinion.
Well based on this feedback I decided to try the recipe you suggested. And if these proportions have worked for you in the past, I guess you must have a technique that I didn't use. The recipe turned out a bit dry for me. Not to the point of being inedible, but definitely not how it's supposed to taste. I know I didn't overbake them because my oven cooks fast and I always monitor baked goods religiously....I actually took 5 min off the cooking time and reduced the temp a little bit. When I do this again I'll try the Paula Deen recipe and see if it works better for me.

In the meantime I have a different problem....my cupcakes are stuck in the pan!

I cannot buy muffin papers here, literally can't be found anywhere. This has never been a problem as every time I've baked anything in my muffin tins I just grease the cups with a bit of shortening and they pop right out. Well apparently this recipe was so dry that it absorbed the shortening and now most of them don't want to come out. I've tried running a thin knife around the edges but the problem is they're more stuck on the bottom. I've already sacrificed two to this failed effort (that's how I found out the recipe is dry).....any other suggestions?

I know I could have floured the pan in addition to the shortening, but I've never needed it every other time I've made cupcakes or muffins or cakes in this oven.
Old 02-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #35
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmarchibald View Post
Serve them with a spoon OR scrape them out of the cups and use the crumbs to make a small trifle??
Old 02-13-2011, 04:09 PM   #36
Head Chef

Quote:
Well based on this feedback I decided to try the recipe you suggested. And if these proportions have worked for you in the past, I guess you must have a technique that I didn't use. The recipe turned out a bit dry for me. Not to the point of being inedible, but definitely not how it's supposed to taste. I know I didn't overbake them because my oven cooks fast and I always monitor baked goods religiously....I actually took 5 min off the cooking time and reduced the temp a little bit. When I do this again I'll try the Paula Deen recipe and see if it works better for me.

I cannot buy muffin papers here, literally can't be found anywhere. This has never been a problem as every time I've baked anything in my muffin tins I just grease the cups with a bit of shortening and they pop right out. Well apparently this recipe was so dry that it absorbed the shortening and now most of them don't want to come out. I've tried running a thin knife around the edges but the problem is they're more stuck on the bottom. I've already sacrificed two to this failed effort (that's how I found out the recipe is dry).....any other suggestions?

I know I could have floured the pan in addition to the shortening, but I've never needed it every other time I've made cupcakes or muffins or cakes in this oven.
Interchanging ingrediants in a baking recipe is a no-no... When making red velvet cake or cupcakes, oil must be used, it's part of what makes the cake moist... Don't ask me how I know this, but working in a cake shop for the past
8 months has taught me a good many things when it comes to baking...
Old 02-13-2011, 10:22 PM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Interchanging ingrediants in a baking recipe is a no-no... When making red velvet cake or cupcakes, oil must be used, it's part of what makes the cake moist... Don't ask me how I know this, but working in a cake shop for the past
8 months has taught me a good many things when it comes to baking...
Right, that was my first instinct (shoulda listened to it) and why I planned to use the Paula Deen recipe. But with such a strong opinion about that other recipe being the right one (and nobody else speaking up in favor of either of the 2 I planned to try) I decided to give that a shot. I didn't exchange any ingredients, just followed the recipe I used, which I don't think is a good one.

I've got time, I think I'll send my hubby to the store for more red food coloring and whip up another batch with the different recipe.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:24 PM   #38
Senior Cook

So no other suggestions for getting my cupcakes out intact? I know some neighborhood children that will eat the ones I have, slightly dry or not.
Old 02-13-2011, 10:27 PM   #39
Senior Cook

Quote:
So no other suggestions for getting my cupcakes out intact? I know some neighborhood children that will eat the ones I have, slightly dry or not.
I sure don't have any ideas, hon. Seriously, make a trifle or something!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:43 PM   #40
Head Chef

cmarchbald, the best by far, IMO, for a red velvet cupcake is Martha Stewarts... It is a beautifully moist, flavorful cake... It's consistent every time I make them, I think you will be happy with the results... Let me know how you like them if you decide to try the recipe...

Tags
recipe

Best recipe for Red Velvet cupcakes (chemistry)? Before we go off on how you can't virtually taste the baked goods, I want to ask which you think would taste better, or which you would follow personally. Here are my options: [url=http://bakingbites.com/2005/08/she-wore-blue-velvet-but-ate-red/]Red Velvet Cupcakes Baking Bites[/url] [url=http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Red-Velvet-Cupcakes]Cupcakes - Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe from WomansDay.com[/url] [url=http://bestcupcakerecipes.blogspot.com/2009/02/red-velvet-cupcake-recipe.html]Cupcakes: Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe[/url] [url=http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe/index.html]Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network[/url] [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9cxBhTj9Nw&feature=related[/url] [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UXVqmM63fU&feature=fvwrel[/url] I tried this one today (came out dry, I yielded 10 cupcakes: [url=http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/red-velvet-cupcakes-3/Detail.aspx]Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe - Allrecipes.com[/url] And I know to try out the cream cheese frosting/icing ontop. However, I've also been recommended Mascarpone frosting and purchased Mascarpone cheese to try it. I have one shot, and my goal is about 30-60 cupcakes. From speculation and elimination, which do you think would work best? 3 stars 1 reviews