Best recipe for Red Velvet cupcakes (chemistry)?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, that's what I was thinking...that the vinegar makes the color brighter because it works when dying easter eggs too. You always add vinegar to the water & dyetablet when dying easter eggs to intensify the color. But I'm not wild about it making the cake lighter and fluffier because I like a denser cake. Lighter cakes remind me of box mixes, no?

I have a question for you. Did the extra cocoa you added affect the intensity of the red color? I would think it would make it darker and browner.

To be honest, yesterday I tested with Blue food coloring. I brought up the cocoa to 1.5 table spoons. I didn't see any change in color though.

Your thread has inspired me to make some red velvet cupcakes in addition to the cookies I was planning to make for Valentine's day. I'm not a big valentine's day person, but Filipinos go bananas for every holiday and they are B-I-G on VD. So I thought I'd make some treats to share. Good excuse to bake anyway. :chef:

I went out and bought some specialty tools I didn't have on hand to make the cookies I want to make. I'm torn now because I was thinking of using the Paula Deen recipe but what all of you are saying about the vinegar making the red brighter....maybe I should go with the other.

Last edited:
oh, Paula's uses Vinegar too :)
I just finished my Red Velvets, they turned out a bit pink (not too sure why :D, It was pink before I added cocoa, and after 1.5 tbs of cocoa, it was still the same color, so I don't think cocoa really changed the color much.)

I altered the ingredients to as follows:

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 tablespoon cocoa powder
1.25 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract

I'm guessing the pink color came because of the extra vanilla extract :D

Ill be back with feedback later today and maybe alter the ingredients, yet again, for later use!

Last edited:
I don't like Paula's recipe at all - not enough cocoa, too much oil and not enough red food coloring to give the deep rich red color that I want in my red velvet cake. Of the recipes you have, to me this one is the best: Cupcakes: Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe . The only modification to it I'd make is to increase the baking soda to 1 1/2 teaspoons.

PS: I don't bake much any more but have made red velvet cake (not cupcakes) countless times over the past forty years. The blogspot recipe is a pretty good one in my opinion.

At school, heard some raves, and some, well (not too good reviews).

Here's a little overview of my experience:

Paula's recipe (exact recipe) was pretty much tasteless, and too greasy that, after 1 hr outside the oven, the cupcake cups became extremely stiff (However, I agree that I screwed parts of the recipe up myself. For example, I used confectioner's sugar instead of granulated, and that did not allow the cake to rise :( I also may have overbaked it, but don't take my word on that), this means that Paula's recipe may still be good.

I then opted for a modified recipe:
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1.5 tablespoon cocoa powder
1.25 cup vegetable oil
1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 tablespoons red food coloring
1 teaspoon white distilled vinegar
2 teaspoon vanilla extract

But I think I may have overmixed the batter, causing the flour to be the dominant taste (still better than tasting oil or nothing in my opinion). I believe you may need a bit more coloring here, because it turned pink for me.

Other than that, I have no complaints, I was completely out of my 70 cupcakes though (about 50 chocolate and 20 red velvet in less than 40 minutes).
My friend also made about 25 cookies, those sold aswell.

Not too much to complain about my red velvets, I guess it was about personal taste in general.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but velvets are supposed to taste semi-sweet with a hint of cocoa, right?

I think that in the case of Red Velvets, the taste is pressured more onto the taste of the frosting more than the cake itself. I ran some Mascarpone and cream cheese frosting (i did about 10 mascarpone [costs an arm and a leg if you're making lots!] and 10 cream cheese).

Coming here has helped me enjoy the better things :) Thanks again!
Now I know what to do to create Great Red Velvet cakes!

P.S. Finca, thanks for your input, when I Get some more ingredients, will definately try the recipe that calls for:

2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 oz. red food coloring (two bottles) or 4 oz beet juice (if you use unprocessed light cocoa you can leave out the food dyes and you'll get a warm red/brown color)
1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 1/2 cups sugar
2 eggs, at room temperature
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup buttermilk, at room temperature
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon baking soda

p.p.s Just realized this recipe is almost identical to my modified Paula's, except the extra .5 tablespoon of cocoa, the extra coloring, and the replacement of vegie oil with butter
Just need some food coloring, hopefully will try this weekend, and finish up any frosting I have left :)
Thanks again!

I do have one question though, and it is in regards to alternatives for food coloring. I know I can use beet juice, however, what if I don't put food coloring (just to try out the recipe). Will it come out dryer without the 1 - 4 oz of water that's found in the coloring?

Last edited:
And Annie, thanks for the link, a real interesting read.
Might have to make a half scale again and try it.

Phillipe,

The additional cocoa and substitution of butter for oil will make a big difference in taste. I'd also add a little more baking soda if I were you. Leaving out the food coloring shouldn't make it too dry, but you can add a little water if you like.

Also, you may want to try a cooked or boiled frosting instead of cream cheese. It's more traditional and is my preference. Here are a couple of recipes:

Cooked Frosting

1 cup milk
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup white sugar
1 cup butter
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

In a saucepan, combine the milk and flour. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Set aside to cool completely. Cream together butter, sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy then stir in the cooled milk and flour mixture and beat until it reaches spreading consistency (forming small peaks).

Boiled Frosting

1 1/2 cups sugar, divided, leaving 2 TBSP aside
3/4 cup of cold water
1 TBSP corn syrup
2 egg whites
1/8 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine sugar (all but 2 TBSP), water, and corn syrup into a saucepan with a heavy bottom. Stir while cooking over medium heat until the sugar is dissolved. At this point it should look clear. Continue to let it cook until it becomes syrupy. Stir constantly to make sure you don't burn it! Beat the egg whites until they form stiff peaks. Add the remaining sugar and beat. Add syrup, mixing until thoroughly blended. Add vanilla and beat until it reaches spreading consistency (forming small peaks).

I usually make the first one because it tastes great and is easier, but the boiled frosting is a true classic and you should try it as well.

And Annie, thanks for the link, a real interesting read.
Might have to make a half scale again and try it.

You're welcome. Now do me a favor and get some regular granulated sugar for your next baking.:chef: I'm no baking expert, but I do know that you will have much better results.

And stick with the cream cheese frosting....it is the traditional red velvet cake frosting.:)

You're welcome. Now do me a favor and get some regular granulated sugar for your next baking.:chef: I'm no baking expert, but I do know that you will have much better results.

And stick with the cream cheese frosting....it is the traditional red velvet cake frosting.:)
Agree x 2....changing a crucial ingredient like the type of sugar used that alters the consistency of the batter can make or break a recipe like that. Remember that powdered sugar has cornstarch in it, so you're introducing a whole new element. Def get some granulated sugar.

Agree X3.

You cannot exchange granulated sugar for powdered sugar in recipes like this.

Thanks all :)

I agree X4 aswell, just please note that I did use granulated sugar for the last cake.
:)

Im still tied with the frosting though.
Some say cream cheese is the traditional, while I read in many other places that boiled flour and milk was traditional. I guess I'll still have to look into this :).

Mascorpone tastes good too though :) Slightly sweeter than cream cheese.

I don't like Paula's recipe at all - not enough cocoa, too much oil and not enough red food coloring to give the deep rich red color that I want in my red velvet cake. Of the recipes you have, to me this one is the best: Cupcakes: Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe . The only modification to it I'd make is to increase the baking soda to 1 1/2 teaspoons.

PS: I don't bake much any more but have made red velvet cake (not cupcakes) countless times over the past forty years. The blogspot recipe is a pretty good one in my opinion.
Well based on this feedback I decided to try the recipe you suggested. And if these proportions have worked for you in the past, I guess you must have a technique that I didn't use. The recipe turned out a bit dry for me. Not to the point of being inedible, but definitely not how it's supposed to taste. I know I didn't overbake them because my oven cooks fast and I always monitor baked goods religiously....I actually took 5 min off the cooking time and reduced the temp a little bit. When I do this again I'll try the Paula Deen recipe and see if it works better for me.

In the meantime I have a different problem....my cupcakes are stuck in the pan!

I cannot buy muffin papers here, literally can't be found anywhere. This has never been a problem as every time I've baked anything in my muffin tins I just grease the cups with a bit of shortening and they pop right out. Well apparently this recipe was so dry that it absorbed the shortening and now most of them don't want to come out. I've tried running a thin knife around the edges but the problem is they're more stuck on the bottom. I've already sacrificed two to this failed effort (that's how I found out the recipe is dry).....any other suggestions?

I know I could have floured the pan in addition to the shortening, but I've never needed it every other time I've made cupcakes or muffins or cakes in this oven.

Well based on this feedback I decided to try the recipe you suggested. And if these proportions have worked for you in the past, I guess you must have a technique that I didn't use. The recipe turned out a bit dry for me. Not to the point of being inedible, but definitely not how it's supposed to taste. I know I didn't overbake them because my oven cooks fast and I always monitor baked goods religiously....I actually took 5 min off the cooking time and reduced the temp a little bit. When I do this again I'll try the Paula Deen recipe and see if it works better for me.

In the meantime I have a different problem....my cupcakes are stuck in the pan!

I cannot buy muffin papers here, literally can't be found anywhere. This has never been a problem as every time I've baked anything in my muffin tins I just grease the cups with a bit of shortening and they pop right out. Well apparently this recipe was so dry that it absorbed the shortening and now most of them don't want to come out. I've tried running a thin knife around the edges but the problem is they're more stuck on the bottom. I've already sacrificed two to this failed effort (that's how I found out the recipe is dry).....any other suggestions?

I know I could have floured the pan in addition to the shortening, but I've never needed it every other time I've made cupcakes or muffins or cakes in this oven.

Interchanging ingrediants in a baking recipe is a no-no... When making red velvet cake or cupcakes, oil must be used, it's part of what makes the cake moist... Don't ask me how I know this, but working in a cake shop for the past
8 months has taught me a good many things when it comes to baking...

Interchanging ingrediants in a baking recipe is a no-no... When making red velvet cake or cupcakes, oil must be used, it's part of what makes the cake moist... Don't ask me how I know this, but working in a cake shop for the past
8 months has taught me a good many things when it comes to baking...
Right, that was my first instinct (shoulda listened to it) and why I planned to use the Paula Deen recipe. But with such a strong opinion about that other recipe being the right one (and nobody else speaking up in favor of either of the 2 I planned to try) I decided to give that a shot. I didn't exchange any ingredients, just followed the recipe I used, which I don't think is a good one.

I've got time, I think I'll send my hubby to the store for more red food coloring and whip up another batch with the different recipe. :rolleyes:

cmarchbald, the best by far, IMO, for a red velvet cupcake is Martha Stewarts... It is a beautifully moist, flavorful cake... It's consistent every time I make them, I think you will be happy with the results... Let me know how you like them if you decide to try the recipe...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom