"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-07-2011, 10:16 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Best recipe for Red Velvet cupcakes (chemistry)?

Before we go off on how you can't virtually taste the baked goods,
I want to ask which you think would taste better, or which you would follow personally.

Here are my options:
Red Velvet Cupcakes Baking Bites
Cupcakes - Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe from WomansDay.com
Cupcakes: Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe
Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network

I tried this one today (came out dry, I yielded 10 cupcakes:
Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe - Allrecipes.com

And I know to try out the cream cheese frosting/icing ontop.

However, I've also been recommended Mascarpone frosting and purchased Mascarpone cheese to try it.

I have one shot, and my goal is about 30-60 cupcakes.

From speculation and elimination, which do you think would work best?

Old 02-07-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
I'd go with the Paula Deen recipe myself.

Old 02-07-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

i'd buy a cake mix. lol. no i really did, was a limited offer at my market. going to make cupcakes out of one of them. my four year old great granddaughter is going to help me. didn't think she has enough of an attention span for the from scratch ones.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:46 PM   #4
Head Chef

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 02-08-2011, 12:15 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

I have decided to go with Paula's myself!

And thanks for the welcome :)

Anyways, I was thinking to myself,
Would I rather use Vegie oil or substitute it for melted butter?

What do you think?

And what's your opinion on knocking the cocoa powder up to about 2 - 3 teaspoons or 1 table spoon. (I want to keep the nice, velvety color, while pushing some sweet chocolaty taste in.
If I do opt for more cocoa, do I have to increase the amount of sugar and buttermilk to keep it proportional? (sweet + moist)?
Old 02-08-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
Master Chef

Site Moderator

If you only have one shot at this I wouldn't start changing the recipe. You can't tell what the consequences of any changes would be. There are so many variables to baking, more so than with cooking. Just go with what you think is the best recipe as written.
Old 02-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I realize this, so I went on to reading the comments;

Most 5-star ratings have altered the recipe to:
2-3 tbs of Cocoa (more chocolate)
cut the oil use by .5 of a cup (less oily)
added .5 cup of buttermilk (makes up for the lost oil, and allows to take care of the cocoa)

The 1-star ratings were in part due to the fact that there wasn't a strong chocolate taste and that the cupcakes were extremely greasy and oily (had to be thrown out).

Thinking about it, 1.5 cups of veggie oil is quite a handful, and Im thinking of following the suggestions of others'.

With one shot though, this is about a 50,50 chance type of thing.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:11 AM   #8
Senior Cook

Just keep in mind that reviews are from a multitude of people and are their opinions. I've seen bad reviews for things I thought were awesome.....and good reviews for things I personally thought were awful....

I think I would stick with the recipe.
Old 02-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Send a message via Skype™ to cmarchibald
To each his own. I can't help myself....I start experimenting with virtually every recipe that comes across my counter, even from the first time I make it. But it's true that this is not easy to do with baking as it is with cooking, so walk wary.

If you really want to give it a shot, make a micro version of the recipe and cook a few cupcakes, see how they come out. If you like the results, forge ahead. If you don't, stick with the recipe.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:14 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

Sweet!

So ill try small servings of each.

Do you think water may be a temporary substitute for the coloring? (adds the moisture, but not the colors, as I don't have much on hand and would like to use those for the final product)

Tags
recipe

Best recipe for Red Velvet cupcakes (chemistry)? Before we go off on how you can't virtually taste the baked goods, I want to ask which you think would taste better, or which you would follow personally. Here are my options: [url=http://bakingbites.com/2005/08/she-wore-blue-velvet-but-ate-red/]Red Velvet Cupcakes Baking Bites[/url] [url=http://www.womansday.com/Recipes/Red-Velvet-Cupcakes]Cupcakes - Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe from WomansDay.com[/url] [url=http://bestcupcakerecipes.blogspot.com/2009/02/red-velvet-cupcake-recipe.html]Cupcakes: Red Velvet Cupcake Recipe[/url] [url=http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/red-velvet-cupcakes-with-cream-cheese-frosting-recipe/index.html]Red Velvet Cupcakes with Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe : Paula Deen : Food Network[/url] [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9cxBhTj9Nw&feature=related[/url] [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4UXVqmM63fU&feature=fvwrel[/url] I tried this one today (came out dry, I yielded 10 cupcakes: [url=http://allrecipes.com//Recipe/red-velvet-cupcakes-3/Detail.aspx]Red Velvet Cupcakes Recipe - Allrecipes.com[/url] And I know to try out the cream cheese frosting/icing ontop. However, I've also been recommended Mascarpone frosting and purchased Mascarpone cheese to try it. I have one shot, and my goal is about 30-60 cupcakes. From speculation and elimination, which do you think would work best? 3 stars 1 reviews