Best-Yet Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chocoholic

Senior Cook
My dad and grandpa especially liked this one. I don't know if it's the best yet (no chocolate!), but it was pretty darned good!

Best-Yet Cake

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained

Fork-blend the eggs. Add sugar and blend together by hand. Sift together the flour and baking soda and stir into egg and sugar mixture. Fold in the crushed, undrained pineapple. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Frost immediately upon removal from oven.

Best-Yet Cake Frosting

Ingredients:
8 ounces softened cream cheese
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

With an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, sugar and butter. Add vanilla and blend well. Spread on cake while the cake is still hot. Top with walnuts or pecans.

Chocoholic said:
My dad and grandpa especially liked this one. I don't know if it's the best yet (no chocolate!), but it was pretty darned good!

Best-Yet Cake

Ingredients:
2 eggs
2 cups sugar
2 cups flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 can (20 ounces) crushed pineapple, undrained

Fork-blend the eggs. Add sugar and blend together by hand. Sift together the flour and baking soda and stir into egg and sugar mixture. Fold in the crushed, undrained pineapple. Pour into a greased and floured 9x13 inch pan. Bake in a 350-degree oven for 30 to 40 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean. Frost immediately upon removal from oven.

Best-Yet Cake Frosting

Ingredients:
8 ounces softened cream cheese
1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
1/4 cup softened butter or margarine
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup chopped walnuts or pecans

With an electric mixer, beat together the cream cheese, sugar and butter. Add vanilla and blend well. Spread on cake while the cake is still hot. Top with walnuts or pecans.
my friend from louissianna calls that a hummingbird cake

Sounds kind of like an ambrosia cake except the pineapple goes into tje frosting which is cool-whip and vanilla pudding. Mandrin oranges go into the cake. Yummy stuff.
I like the sound of your icing too. Maybe I'll try that next time.

Hi Chocoholic,
would it be possible to use apples instead of pineapples? Would I have to bake the apples separately first? I love apple cakes and have tried a few different recipes, but have not yet found my favorite.
The best yet cake sounds delicious.
Thank you!
Karin

Hi KArin,
your cake sounds delicious. I will try to make it this weekend.:rolleyes:

Chocoholic, Searching for a Cake to bring to Pot Luck. This is it. Thanks Aria

If you do a search for "hummingbird cake", there is a really good one that comes up in about.food. That is the same one I use. My gd always asks for it for her birthday cake. I must tell you, it is very rich. I'd post it here, but haven't learned the way to do a link. Something else I need to work on.

ChoCoholic, I was getting ready to bake your cake and noticed..NO Shortening? Decided to wait and double check. Thanks Aria

Anyone? What do you think about No Shortening? I am going to bake the cake to take to Pot Luck. Think I will not bake it tomorrow.

I am short on time. I will make a simple Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Frosting this time.

Back
Top Bottom