Better than My pancakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chief Longwind Of The North

Certified/Certifiable
I'm talking about a wonderful breakfast treat worthy of Christmas morning. I'm talking about Belgian Waffles.

Belgian Waffles

Belgian waffles are traditionally made with a yeast-risen batter. They are very light, and wonderfully fluffy, with a crisp outer texture and soft, moist inner crumb, almost like bread. They are great with syrup, or fruit syrups, or with freshly sliced fruit and either powdered sugar or whipped cream. However you top them, they are delicious. This recipe will feed a family, and so is great for a small crowd. You can do the math and makea smalle batch.

Ingredients:
2 quarts and one pint of liquid (milk)
2/3 ounce of yeast
¼ cup sugar
7 cups of flour
5 oz of salted butter
1 spoon of cooking oil
4 large eggs
4 oz of sugar (100 gram)
½ tsp. salt

Heat the liquid up until it is very warm to the touch, but not scalding hot. Add the sugar and milk together and stir until the sugar is dissolved. Add the yeast and stir until dissolved. Seperate the eggs and place the whites in a glass or stainless steel bow.

Sift the flour into a bowl; sprinkle the salt at the edge of the flour and make a hole in the middle. Slowly poor the milk/sugar/yeast misture into the hole while stirring with a whisk. Stir in the melted butter., where you pour the dissolved yeast and the melted butter. Add the egg yolks and whisk in. Fold the batter from the center to the sides until the thick batter is smooth and somewhat elastic.

Beat the egg whites until soft peaks form, and gently fold into the batter. Cover and let the batter rise until its volume has doubled. Pour enough of the batter into the waffle iron to cover the bottom grids. Close and bake until the waffles are golden brown. Remove when done and place on a wire cooling rack so as to let the steam escape. If you just place them onto a hard surface, the steam will cause the waffles to become soggy.

Tip; For a change of pace, try adding more sweetener to the batter, along with either cocoa powder, or cinnamon and nutmeg, or pumpkin pie spices, etc. I have even added canned pumpkin and the spices for pumpkin pie (cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger). They came out wonderful. So don’t be afraid to experiment.

This recipe makes a waffle with a crisp outside that is tender, and moist inside, with that wonderful yeast flavor that goes so well with syrups, jams, jellies, ad fruit preserves. Here is the original that is oh so good.

And, if you want to try something a bit different, decrease the sugar, and add some garlic and Italian herbs and spices. Serve these savory waffles with roast beef and gravy, or chicken, or...

Enjoy

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

A lot of people love these waffles.. I make and eat waffles often and I don't care for Belgian Waffles..

In California, it was almost impossible to find a regular waffle in a restaurant.. I find them occasionally still here in Missouri..

Ross

It's a good thing I was sitting down when I saw the title to this thread "Better than My pancakes". I've made your pancakes and they can't be beat.

Good tip about placing the waffles on a cooling rack to allow the steam to escape. I don't care for limp waffles. I only butter a section at a time even though the butter doesn't melt after succeeding sections. At least they are still somewhat crispy. Love waffles.

Back
Top Bottom