"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-08-2008, 10:22 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Bittersweet Chocolate

I was going to bake that cake that is on the cover of Family circle magazine February edition for Valentine's day.. and it asks for bittersweet chocolate. I thought that was the chocolate you get in the baking section that is in1 oz squares, in a box.. but when I went to the store.. all that was there was semi_sweet and unsweetened chocolate.

Where do you find bittersweet chocolate at???

Old 02-08-2008, 10:46 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Debbie View Post
I was going to bake that cake that is on the cover of Family circle magazine February edition for Valentine's day.. and it asks for bittersweet chocolate. I thought that was the chocolate you get in the baking section that is in1 oz squares, in a box.. but when I went to the store.. all that was there was semi_sweet and unsweetened chocolate.

Where do you find bittersweet chocolate???
Bittersweet chocolate is nothing more than a VERY dark chocolate. It has less sugar than semi-sweet chocolate. You might have to actually go to the candy section. In our grocery they have some really nice bars of various chocolates. You should be able to find it there - probably not at the section where you check out or the baking isle - but the specialty candy/chocolate section.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2008, 10:48 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
If you have a World Market store near you, check out their chocolate candy bar section. Wonderful selection of all kinds of chocolate.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:03 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Try another grocery store or even WalMart. I've found bittersweet chocolate by the baking section.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:35 AM   #5
Head Chef

Look for Ghirardelli 60% bittersweet baking bars. Most supermarkets carry them.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:41 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
If you have a World Market store near you, check out their chocolate candy bar section. Wonderful selection of all kinds of chocolate.
This is a good tip, but you need to look for a bar with a cocoa percentage in the 60% plus range that does not contain other flavorings. I prefer the E.Guittard or Ghirardelli bars, but Trader Joe's and Whole Paycheck will occasionally have pieces of Callebaut and Valrhona.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:58 PM   #7
Master Chef

Whole Foods has these as well. They are also carried at the local Jewel, but not very good quality in my opinion. I do like the Ghirardelli bars 60% as well.
Old 02-16-2008, 07:24 PM   #8
Executive Chef

I'm thinking when I've bought it, it was in the baking section with the choco chippers etc. But maybe not. I never buy only one [cause I freeze them for later use when they're on sale]. My favorite bittersweet, is the kosher that's out this time of year or around Christmas in the kosher section, look there.

Today, I found all the chocolate I will ever want being as it's on sale for 50% off cause Valentines Day is over, and I'm the winning recipient of decadence!

Tags
None