Black Bottom Espresso Cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PieSusan

Washing Up
These cupcakes are very special and must be refrigerated. They are quite fabulous for something so easy to make. You will recognize that they are very similar to what is sold in high-end, tony coffeeshops at big prices. They were a favorite of my Beloved Father.
Pie Susan

Black Bottom Espresso Cupcakes
Based on a recipe from 365 Great Chocolate Desserts by Natalie Haughton
dairy, yields 20 cupcakes

Ingredients for cupcake batter:
1-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup cocoa
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teapoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 large egg
1/3 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla

Ingredients for cream cheese filling:
8 oz. cream cheese
1 Tablespoon espresso powder
1/3 cup sugar
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 cup mini-chocolate chips

Directions for cupcakes batter:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and place your rack in the center of the oven.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the dry ingrediets with an electric mixer on slow speed. Next, add the liquid ingredients and beat on medium speed until thoroughly mixed and smooth. Line muffin tins with paper liners so that you have 20 cupcakes--each one with be 2-1/2 inche in diameter. Divide batter amongst the 20 cupcakes.

Directions for cream cheese filling:
In a medium-sized bowl, beat together the first six ingredients on medium speed until smooth. Then, stir in the mini chocolate chips.
Spoon about 1 tablespoon of the cream cheese filling onto the center of each cupcake. Bake the cupcaes for 20-25 minutes (watch the time, they may get done sooner), or until cupcakes spring back when lightly toughed. Let the cupcakes cool in the muffin pans for 5 minutes and then very carefully unmold to cool completely and place on wire racks. (They will be hot, I use an offset spatula to help me).

Back
Top Bottom