"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 08-30-2011, 08:49 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Black Forest Cherry Cake

Hi everyone,
I'd like to share a really great recipe for a birthday here, I've been making this one for years and it's a family favourite:

750g sour cherries, stoned
300g sugar
4 eggs
6 tablespoons water
125g butter
200g flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
50g cocoa powder
2 tablespoons rum
1/2 litre double cream,
50g chocolate chips

Beat together 250g of the sugar, the egg yolks and the water for 20 minutes. Melt the butter and add it to the mixture. Sieve the flour with the baking powder and cocoa and slowly add to the yolk mixture, stirring well. Stir the beaten egg whites into the mixture.
Pour into your cake tin (8 inch size) and cook for 45 minutes at 180 degrees celcius, 350 F or gas mark 4.
Leave cake to cool and slice it in three.
Soak the bottom layer in rum and cover with cherries and the left over sugar. Then add the whipped cream on top and add the second layer of cake. Add more cream on top and then add the top layer of cake. For the finish, cover the whole cake in cream and throw on some chocolate chips!

Old 08-30-2011, 11:21 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Sounds wonderful. When should I be there. I do have a birthday coming up, but I think the guys are going to buy me an ice cream cake.

Old 09-03-2011, 08:12 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

I haven't tried ice cream cake yet. Happy Birthday!!!!!
Old 09-04-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

this is exactly the kind of thing i joined these forums for.

It sounds absolutely amazing, ill be trying this out very soon.

thanks for posting it

Tags
cake, recipe, sour cherries

Black Forest Cherry Cake Hi everyone, I'd like to share a really great recipe for a birthday here, I've been making this one for years and it's a family:angel: favourite: 750g sour cherries, stoned 300g sugar 4 eggs 6 tablespoons water 125g butter 200g flour 1 teaspoon baking powder 50g cocoa powder 2 tablespoons rum 1/2 litre double cream, 50g chocolate chips Beat together 250g of the sugar, the egg yolks and the water for 20 minutes. Melt the butter and add it to the mixture. Sieve the flour with the baking powder and cocoa and slowly add to the yolk mixture, stirring well. Stir the beaten egg whites into the mixture. Pour into your cake tin (8 inch size) and cook for 45 minutes at 180 degrees celcius, 350 F or gas mark 4. Leave cake to cool and slice it in three. Soak the bottom layer in rum and cover with cherries and the left over sugar. Then add the whipped cream on top and add the second layer of cake. Add more cream on top and then add the top layer of cake. For the finish, cover the whole cake in cream and throw on some chocolate chips!:chef: 3 stars 1 reviews