"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Click Here to Login

Old 08-14-2017, 05:40 PM   #21
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
And it only 4 ingredients to get a good vanilla cake and sorry to say cake mix is more then one ingredient, it is a lot of additives.

My favorite cake is 175 cake, it just 175 gram of butter, sugar, self raising flour, 1 teaspoon flavouring and 3 eggs, baked in 175C for 30- 35 min.
The reason I use boxed cake mix is to avoid driving 35 mile ONE WAY to a larger town to get cake flour - they don't carry it at the little grocery store in the small town closest to my home so, the only way to get cake flour there is in a cake mix and, that comes in Angel Food, Yellow or, Devils Food only at that store. I don't make a cake unless I'm having out of town guests and, that only happens once or twice a year.

We prefer buckles and pies, or fresh fruit with a sauce that compliments the meal and, the fruit - Honey vanilla yogurt thinned with a bit of milk is a favorite sauce here.

BlueMoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:18 PM   #22
Head Chef

I've seen mixes under a dollar.

I did try one recipe a long time ago and I think - think, not sure - it was one can of pumpkin added to yellow cake mix. It turned out pretty good, but I forgot to save the recipe. I should try that yellow mix and pumpkin again and see what it tastes like.

rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #23
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
Excuse me for being a bit thick but if you want a more "homemade" cake why don't you make a homemade cake. It would have to be easier and cheaper than buying a box and then all the additions.

(Would taste better too.)

Diversity is what makes a food forum interesting and fun...

Ross
Old 08-14-2017, 08:55 PM   #24
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoods View Post
The reason I use boxed cake mix is to avoid driving 35 mile ONE WAY to a larger town to get cake flour - they don't carry it at the little grocery store in the small town closest to my home so, the only way to get cake flour there is in a cake mix and, that comes in Angel Food, Yellow or, Devils Food only at that store. I don't make a cake unless I'm having out of town guests and, that only happens once or twice a year.

We prefer buckles and pies, or fresh fruit with a sauce that compliments the meal and, the fruit - Honey vanilla yogurt thinned with a bit of milk is a favorite sauce here.
To make your own cake flour here are the directions.

Directions:
1. Measure out the flour that you'll need for your recipe.

2. For every cup of flour you use, take out two tablespoons of flour and return it to the flour bin. ...In other words if the recipe calls for two cups of flour, take out four tablespoons of flour and replace the flour with four tablespoons of cornstarch.

3. Replace the two tablespoons of flour that you removed with two tablespoons of cornstarch.

4. Sift the flour and cornstarch together.

I have done this many times. But for the most part, I just use regular all purpose flour. And I sift it together with all the other dry ingredients.
Old 08-15-2017, 12:01 PM   #25
Head Chef

Oh I been told cake flour and self raising isnt the same by my American friends. In my recipe you need self raising flour and not cake and that you can make with all purpose flour . You can even make good mock up of cake flour with all purpose and corn starch.

Also most none american recipe you can use all purpose flour for cakes.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:18 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoods View Post
The reason I use boxed cake mix is to avoid driving 35 mile ONE WAY to a larger town to get cake flour - they don't carry it at the little grocery store in the small town closest to my home so, the only way to get cake flour there is in a cake mix and, that comes in Angel Food...
You can make cake with all-purpose flour.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:24 PM   #27
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Oh I been told cake flour and self raising isnt the same by my American friends. In my recipe you need self raising flour and not cake and that you can make with all purpose flour. You can even make good mock up of cake flour with all purpose and corn starch.

Also most none american recipe you can use all purpose flour for cakes.
Yes, cake flour and self-rising flour are different. Self-rising flour has baking powder and/or baking soda in it. Cake flour has a lower protein content and is milled more finely, so it makes a light, delicate cake.

Lots of American cake recipes use all-purpose flour.
Old 08-15-2017, 01:29 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

I have used self rising flour for biscuits. Not often so I keep it in the freezer.

I have never bought or used cake flour. I just sub unbleached AP flour or an assortment of flours in combination sometimes (I.E. almond meal/flour in quick breads that have nuts in them ETC.).
msmofet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:44 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Yes, cake flour and self-rising flour are different. Self-rising flour has baking powder and/or baking soda in it. Cake flour has a lower protein content and is milled more finely, so it makes a light, delicate cake.

Lots of American cake recipes use all-purpose flour.
How do you make self rising flour from regular flour?
Just add 2 teaspoons of baking powder for each 150g/6oz/1 cup plain flour. Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl before using, to make sure the baking powder is thoroughly distributed (or you can put both ingredients into a bowl and whisk them together).Feb 10, 2012

or

https://food52.com/blog/8375-how-to-...f-rising-flour

Like someone here once stated: Goggle is my best friend!
So save your gas and make it right at home.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:02 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Cake flours are made from a soft wheat with a lower protein content. The higher the protein, the stronger the flour - as in better for firm baked products like breads. Here are links to a couple of web articles that will give you far more information than you really want to know:

Types of Flour, What's Cooking America

What's the Difference? ~ The Kitchn

Tags
cake