Boxed Cake Mix Add-ons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
And it only 4 ingredients to get a good vanilla cake and sorry to say cake mix is more then one ingredient, it is a lot of additives.

My favorite cake is 175 cake, it just 175 gram of butter, sugar, self raising flour, 1 teaspoon flavouring and 3 eggs, baked in 175C for 30- 35 min.

The reason I use boxed cake mix is to avoid driving 35 mile ONE WAY to a larger town to get cake flour - they don't carry it at the little grocery store in the small town closest to my home so, the only way to get cake flour there is in a cake mix and, that comes in Angel Food, Yellow or, Devils Food only at that store. I don't make a cake unless I'm having out of town guests and, that only happens once or twice a year.

We prefer buckles and pies, or fresh fruit with a sauce that compliments the meal and, the fruit - Honey vanilla yogurt thinned with a bit of milk is a favorite sauce here.

I've seen mixes under a dollar.

I did try one recipe a long time ago and I think - think, not sure - it was one can of pumpkin added to yellow cake mix. It turned out pretty good, but I forgot to save the recipe. I should try that yellow mix and pumpkin again and see what it tastes like.

Excuse me for being a bit thick but if you want a more "homemade" cake why don't you make a homemade cake. It would have to be easier and cheaper than buying a box and then all the additions.

(Would taste better too.)

Diversity is what makes a food forum interesting and fun... :)

Ross

The reason I use boxed cake mix is to avoid driving 35 mile ONE WAY to a larger town to get cake flour - they don't carry it at the little grocery store in the small town closest to my home so, the only way to get cake flour there is in a cake mix and, that comes in Angel Food, Yellow or, Devils Food only at that store. I don't make a cake unless I'm having out of town guests and, that only happens once or twice a year.

We prefer buckles and pies, or fresh fruit with a sauce that compliments the meal and, the fruit - Honey vanilla yogurt thinned with a bit of milk is a favorite sauce here.

To make your own cake flour here are the directions.

Directions:
1. Measure out the flour that you'll need for your recipe.

2. For every cup of flour you use, take out two tablespoons of flour and return it to the flour bin. ...In other words if the recipe calls for two cups of flour, take out four tablespoons of flour and replace the flour with four tablespoons of cornstarch.

3. Replace the two tablespoons of flour that you removed with two tablespoons of cornstarch.

4. Sift the flour and cornstarch together.

I have done this many times. But for the most part, I just use regular all purpose flour. And I sift it together with all the other dry ingredients.

Oh I been told cake flour and self raising isnt the same by my American friends. In my recipe you need self raising flour and not cake and that you can make with all purpose flour . You can even make good mock up of cake flour with all purpose and corn starch.

Also most none american recipe you can use all purpose flour for cakes.

The reason I use boxed cake mix is to avoid driving 35 mile ONE WAY to a larger town to get cake flour - they don't carry it at the little grocery store in the small town closest to my home so, the only way to get cake flour there is in a cake mix and, that comes in Angel Food...

You can make cake with all-purpose flour.

Oh I been told cake flour and self raising isnt the same by my American friends. In my recipe you need self raising flour and not cake and that you can make with all purpose flour. You can even make good mock up of cake flour with all purpose and corn starch.

Also most none american recipe you can use all purpose flour for cakes.

Yes, cake flour and self-rising flour are different. Self-rising flour has baking powder and/or baking soda in it. Cake flour has a lower protein content and is milled more finely, so it makes a light, delicate cake.

Lots of American cake recipes use all-purpose flour.

I have used self rising flour for biscuits. Not often so I keep it in the freezer.

I have never bought or used cake flour. I just sub unbleached AP flour or an assortment of flours in combination sometimes (I.E. almond meal/flour in quick breads that have nuts in them ETC.).

Yes, cake flour and self-rising flour are different. Self-rising flour has baking powder and/or baking soda in it. Cake flour has a lower protein content and is milled more finely, so it makes a light, delicate cake.

Lots of American cake recipes use all-purpose flour.

How do you make self rising flour from regular flour?
Just add 2 teaspoons of baking powder for each 150g/6oz/1 cup plain flour. Sift the flour and baking powder together into a bowl before using, to make sure the baking powder is thoroughly distributed (or you can put both ingredients into a bowl and whisk them together).Feb 10, 2012

or

https://food52.com/blog/8375-how-to-diy-cake-flour-and-self-rising-flour

Like someone here once stated: Goggle is my best friend!
So save your gas and make it right at home. :yum:

Cake flour is also bleached which is banned in most European countries, so cake flour wouldnt work with a British or Swedish cake recipe, it would give a different result.

Excuse me for being a bit thick but if you want a more "homemade" cake why don't you make a homemade cake. It would have to be easier and cheaper than buying a box and then all the additions.

(Would taste better too.)
That was exactly what I was thinking. Back in the 80s I occasionally bought "snackin' cakes". They were a mix that only needed water and they were delicious unfrosted. You mixed them in the baking pan. The convenience was worth it.

Cake flour is also bleached which is banned in most European countries, so cake flour wouldnt work with a British or Swedish cake recipe, it would give a different result.
I just use soft, organic, whole wheat flour instead of cake flour. The only cakes I use it for are angel food cake and sponge cake. I mostly use it for pie crusts.

I was once in a hurry and tried this cupcake "recipe" - delicious!

Vanilla box cake - best quality at store
Mince meat pie filling in glass jar - best quality at store

Omit 1 Tablespoon liquid from cake mix directions. Otherwise, follow all directions on box to make batter.

Pour batter into paper-lined cupcake tin. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons of mincemeat from glass jar to each cupcake.

Bake as instructed on cake mix box.

Yum!

ps - I love cardamom so I added 1 teaspoon ground to the dry cake mix.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom