British Christmas Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cookingmammy

Assistant Cook
Hi All,

I'm looking for a good British Christmas Cake recipe to try out this year. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Things You'll Need:

• 16 oz. currants
  • 6 oz. raisins
  • 6 oz. sultanas
  • 2 oz. glace cherries or glace fruit mix
  • 2 oz. mixed candied fruit peel
  • 3 tablespoons sherry wine
  • 8 oz. plain flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
  • 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 8 oz. fresh, unsalted butter
  • 8 oz. light brown sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 2 oz. chopped walnuts
  • Grated lemon rind
  • Grated orange rind
  • 8-inch round cake pan

1. 1
    Prepare the fruit. Soak the raisins, currants, sultanas, glace fruit and candied peel in the sherry overnight.
  2. 2
    Preheat oven to 275 degrees Fahrenheit.
  3. 3
    Prepare flour mixture. Sift the flour, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg over large bowl.
  4. 4
    In separate bowl, cream the butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time until thoroughly combined.
  5. 5
    Slowly fold the flour mixture into the egg mixture until blended.
  6. 6
    Add the fruit. Stir in the soaked fruit, along with the orange and lemon peel. Combine thoroughly until evenly mixed.
  7. 7
    Prepare to bake. Line the outside of the cake pan with brown paper to help seal the heat.
  8. 8
    Pour cake batter into pan and bake for 4 1/2 to 5 hours on the lowest shelf of the oven.
  9. 9
    Remove from oven and let cool for at least 2 to 3 hours before icing.
  10. 10
    Wrap the cake in greaseproof paper, and top with a few teaspoons of brandy or sherry each week to let the cake absorb and 'mature' over time.
Don't know if this is a good one or not. I ain't never made it, but I might give it a try sometime.

OaC there are a lot of variation for Chrimbo cake over here, your recipe looks like a good starter. I have been making the Delia Smith Classic Christmas cake(google) recipe for about 30 yrs.
All these rich fruit cakes taste good but if you mature and feed for a year or more the are incredible.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom