"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 08-18-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Bubbles in a cake?

I have a question for the expert bakers out there...

I made two layers and placed one on the bottom shelf of the oven (gas) and one on the top. The one on the bottom had bubbles in it when I took it out...is there a reason for this?

Also any suggestions for making a more moist chocolate cake from scratch would be great.

Old 08-18-2006, 05:47 PM   #2
Sous Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to FryBoy
All cakes have "bubbles" in them, or they should, as that's what makes the batter rise. Otherwise the end result would be like a dense brownie.

So, are you talking about something other than these tiny bubbles? Did you end up with BIG ones?

If so, my semi-educated guess would be that the pan on the bottom shelf was too close to the heat source (the burner is on the bottom in a gas oven) and the batter rose too fast or maybe even boiled a bit when the oven was heating.

If the pans won't both fit on the same shelf, try raising both shelves (or at least the bottom one). Make sure the oven is heated to the proper temperature before putting in the cakes, put them in quickly and shut the oven door to avoid heat loss, and leave the oven closed for the same reason. That should minimize the time the burner is on and provide a more even temperature through the baking period.

Old 08-18-2006, 08:41 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Thanks guys. The bubbles were big and I think you're both right about the second layer being too close to the source. my batter ended up being pretty dense...almost like a brownie, but since i've never tried the recipe before, i don't exactly know what to expect. here it is for those interested....

From: The All American Cowboy Cookbook by Ken Beck and Jim Clark
(I'd recommend it if you're a country western fan, becuase it's got lots of recipes from people like Roy Rogers, Clint Eastwood, Gene Autry, etc...)

Pecos River Chocolate Cake
1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups sugar (I used splenda)
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 tsp baking soda
1/3 cup cocoa (I used Hershey's special dark cocoa)
1/2 cup vegetable oil or soft margarine
1 cup milk
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
I also added about 2 tbs cinnamon (cinnamon and dark chocolate in my opinion go really well together)

Grease and flour 2 layer pans (preferably glass) (--I used tin). Preheat the oven to 375. Mix flour , sugar, salt, baking soda, and cocoa. Add oil, milk, eggs, and vanilla. Beat well and pour into pans. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes (mine didn't take this long so I would suggest watching them closely) or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Combine remaining ingredients until well-blended. Frost cake as desired. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

They have the following recipe for frosting but I did something different:
2 2/3 cups confectioner's sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
1/3 cup solid shortening
3 tablespoons butter
3 to 4 tablespoons strong coffee

My frosting recipe (which admittedly needs work as I've never really made frosting before). I got sort of inspired by a joy of cooking quick brown sugar recipe for frosting....but didn't have all the ingredients so i made things up as i went along...I really don't have the amounts for this, but if you guys are all bakers, I'm sure you could do far better than me. Here are the ingredients I used....

brown sugar
butter
dark chocolate cocoa
cinnamon
cups milk

I combined the ingredients then put the frosting in a steel bowl over a pot with about a 1/2 cup water in it. I was really trying to make a glaze with the whole thing. Would also suggest brandy for the frosting/glaze. Melt the glaze over the cake....it's gorgeous but the consistency needs to be worked on.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:53 PM   #4
Executive Chef

My mother always dropped her filled cake pans about 3 or 4 inches on the counter. She said it helped get rid of the bubbles.
Old 08-18-2006, 08:56 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

that's a good idea too. thanks licia!

--L upon adding 1 cup instead of 1 tbs to a chili recipe.
KeyLimePaige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by licia
My mother always dropped her filled cake pans about 3 or 4 inches on the counter. She said it helped get rid of the bubbles.
I do this too, licia
Old 08-20-2006, 01:14 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Me, too!
Old 08-21-2006, 02:22 AM   #8
Senior Cook

I also drop my cake pans :)

For a moister cake, I add a packet of pudding mix.

Good luck with your next cake!
Old 08-23-2006, 02:49 AM   #9
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
What about over or under mixing?
Old 08-23-2006, 07:18 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

Combine remaining ingredients until well-blended. Frost cake as desired. Makes 8 to 10 servings.

What are the remaining ingredients?
This cake would do well in a 9X13 pan and is basically a Texas sheet cake. Can't be beat for a chocolate cake. Use butter for an incredible richness.
As for dropping pans to get the bubble out, it works well for dense cake batters--pound cakes--but is not good for all batters--lighter ones.

Tags
None