Bulge in my cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pengyou

Senior Cook
I received my new oven yesterday, so immediately had to initiate it :) The cake turned out well but there were 4 bulges in it, i.e. mountains of cake in the top. What is going on?

Cakes are not my thing. Someone else will be along with better knowlege.

Did you blend well and smooth the batter down? Lots of good icing on top, no one will notice!

Last edited:
One of the tricks ATK uses is when they put the batter in the pan is that they push it out from the center to the side leaving a dent in the middle. That way your cake bakes flat on top. :angel:

I did blend well - used my stand mixer for several minutes and was afraid I mixed it too much. The mixer as well as the oven, are both new so there are many variables. In the past I have never smoothed the batter but always added another 1/8 of a cup of water to each batch of cake batter.

Maybe bang the pan on the counter to flatten the batter before baking? I guess the main thing would be is how did it taste? You can always saw the bumpy parts off and eat them, then frost the rest! Who'll know?

Sounds like some experimenting is needed since both mixer and oven are new. Have fun!

Last edited:
Maybe bang the pan on the counter to flatten the batter before baking? I guess the main thing would be is how did it taste? You can always saw the bumpy parts off and eat them, then frost the rest! Who'll know?

Sounds like some experimenting is needed since both mixer and oven are new. Have fun!

Air pockets sound like a definite possibility. :angel:

I know your oven is new but it might be worth it to check the oven temp. It may run a bit hotter than you're used to your old one. I believe that the bulges and cracking are from cooking too quickly in a too hot oven. You may need to adjust the settings just a bit.

I know your oven is new but it might be worth it to check the oven temp. It may run a bit hotter than you're used to your old one. I believe that the bulges and cracking are from cooking too quickly in a too hot oven. You may need to adjust the settings just a bit.

I agree 100%! If the oven is too hot, the batter will cook too quickly. I was surprised to see that my new oven can be adjusted as far as the temp goes. Look in your manual and see if yours can be adjusted too!

And...congrats on getting a new oven! Another new toy in the kitchen! Enjoy!

I don't why, but assume it's to prevent lumps and bumps, but I bang my cake pans on the counter and make sure the center is lower that the edges. That's how my mother-in-law insisted she baked her cakes for her son so I've followed the rules.
I agree that you should check your oven temp with another thermometer.

I don't why, but assume it's to prevent lumps and bumps, but I bang my cake pans on the counter and make sure the center is lower that the edges. That's how my mother-in-law insisted she baked her cakes for her son so I've followed the rules.
I agree that you should check your oven temp with another thermometer.

Our family has always banged it on the counter first to release all air bubble that may cause tunnels. :)

Back
Top Bottom