Burning my cake!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diamond321

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

I'm new here so first of all I'd like to say a big hello! I'm looking forward to learning a lot, as I'm only a beginner at baking just now.

I was wondering if anyone could either help me, or direct me to a previous discussion about this. Whenever I bake a cake I always end up burning the bottom, sides & top, but the inside doesn't cook properly :( I place my cake tin on the middle rack of my oven. What am I doing wrong?!

Thanks x

Welcome to DC!! Don't do cakes so unfortunately I can't help you. I am sure there will be a baker along in a minute but you are looking in the right place.

Last edited:
Welcome to DC

Sounds like your oven temerpature is off. If you set the temp to what the recipe calls for and the cakes are burning, your oven is getting a lot hotter than the dial indicates. You should have it calibrated by a service man.

Hi and welcome to DC. My baked goods used to burn too, I tried an oven thermometer and found it off by 100 degrees! Since the oven was old and couldn't find a replacement thermostat for it, we ended up buying a new oven.

Are you setting the oven to the correct temperature? Try setting the oven to a temperature and with a good thermometer, find out the actual temperature. If it's off from what the oven is supposed to be, then you may need to get it fixed or possibly a whole new oven.

Also, are you making the cake correctly?

Back
Top Bottom