Butter Frosting Experience...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SNPiccolo5

Senior Cook
So just for fun today, I decided to experiment with making a frosting I would like. I really like whipped cream, but it's never substantial enough for frosting a cupcake, so this is what I tried.

I whipped 1 stick of butter (at room temp) until it was fluffy and white. Then, I added 2 Tb cream and whipped it into the butter. Then added 1/2 cup powdered sugar. This wasn't sweet enough, but it seemed the flavor was off, too, so I decided to use regular sugar. Of course, this made it grainy, but I fixed it!

I set up a double boiler, and put the granular frosting over the steam and whisked it- it became shiny, smooth, and I couldn't tell there was regular sugar in it any more! I then folded in the rest (1/3 cup liquid?) whipped cream after whipping it.

After this, I added some vanilla and popped it in the fridge to see how it did in there. I came home hours later, and it was very stiff. This is of course because it is mostly butter. It also tastes, to me, a little too buttery, but still very good. I tried to break it apart, but as I mixed it, it separated into a gobbly mess of what looked like tiny cottage cheese, if you know what I mean- curdled, or something.

But, I put it over the double boiler again, and it "melted" back into the frosting again- it probably looked better! It was honestly like magic, I have no idea how it happened.

I now made some chocolate cupcakes to put it on and they're amazing!

Isn't it fun?! Lots of times, it's fun, but other times, it just gets crazy...

I put the cupcakes in the fridge so they would cool, and then took one out today to see if it would soften up nicely, and it does! This frosting was so relatively easy, too... Does anyone else have any good frosting recipes?

-Tim

I like cream cheese frosting.

1 8 oz pkgs cream cheese; softened
1 stick margarine; softened
1 box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon Vanilla

Beat the butter and cream cheese until blended. Beat in powdered sugar and add vanilla. Ice cake. Refrigerate.

The cream cheese frosting sounds really good! I have a friend who works at a local bakery, and I get free/largly discounted, very high quality pastry and bread from them when I visit them at work. The frosting I made is an attempt at replicating their "white chocolate frosting", which I really don't think has white chocolate in it. The thing about it, is, that it can come off in an entire piece when it's chilled, so not very good, but if you let it sit and come up to temperature, it's very good! Their's is a little lighter than mine, though, so I'm thinking of maybe increasing the amount of cream I use, or even add milk?

Anyway, I'm working on a Mexican Brownie recipe from there, which has cinnamon and brown sugar- it's absolutely amazing. I just had some of their carrot cake, too, and their cream cheese frosting was really good. I'll end up posting the Brownie recipe once I can call it a TNT recipe, but it's just not there yet!

-Tim

SNPiccolo5 said:
The cream cheese frosting sounds really good! ... The frosting I made is an attempt at replicating their "white chocolate frosting", which I really don't think has white chocolate in it. The thing about it, is, that it can come off in an entire piece when it's chilled, so not very good, but if you let it sit and come up to temperature, it's very good! ...
-Tim

Try using using the following ganache recipe, but substituting white chocolate for the dark chocolate. It will give you a very creamy topping for your pastry.

A general guideline for making ganache. To make a glaze or coating: 1 part cream to 3 parts chocolate. So to make a cup of ganache, heat 1/4 cup of cream until it is hot, but not boiling (about 160 degrees is good). Add 3/4 cup of shaved white chocolate to the hot cream, stirring while adding until smooth. You can flavor this with a touch of cinnamon, or leave it as is. Pour over the cake while the ganache is still warm.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Last edited:
Wow... all the ganache's I've used before have been near equal parts chocolate and cream... but it depends on what kind of chocolate you use... softer chocolate uses less cream.

The white chocolate ganache sounds amazing...

-Tim

Ever tried using chocolate pastry cream? I find it makes a great frosting. Not as cloying as the standard birthday cake/decorator's icing, but not quite as hardcore as a dark chocolate buttercream.

Isn't it great to experiment?

Hey Jasonr,
Could I please have your recipe for the chocolate pastry cream frosting?

Back
Top Bottom