Buttermilk spice cupcakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah

Head Chef
Made them today.They were great tasting,very moist,and not too heavy on fat.Used my favorite caramel frosting with them,the recipe for which i've posted before.over all they were yummy.

The recipe follows.

2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspon ground cardamom
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups buttermilk

Sift together the flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon,cardamom, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg. Cream butter in a mixing bowl; add brown sugar, granulated sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. Beat at high speed of an electric mixer for 5 minutes, or until light and fluffy. Scrape bowl often. Add sifted dry ingredients, alternating with buttermilk, mixing at lowest speed just until smooth.
Pour batter into greased and floured muffin tins(or use cupcake liners).Or if you want to make it into a layer cake,use 2, 8 inch round,greased and floured cake pans. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes(30 minutes for layers), or until a wooden pick or cake tester inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pans on rack for 5 minutes, turn out of pans onto racks to cool completely.

Enjoy!!!

Thanks for posting this. I need to make a layered spice cake this weekend for a b-day request. I've never made a spice cake but this looks good and easy.

How do you think it would be with a cream cheese icing?

Cream cheese icing will be perfect with it as it really compliments the taste of all the spices! and just as its perfect with a carrot or a pumpkin or a banana cake,im sure it'll go very well with this one too!

I can't find the caramel frosting recipe either. Pretty Please?

This sounds rather magnificent. Such a lovely combination of spices! I do have a technical question though -

I get mixed responses when it comes to recipes saying things like 'sifted flour' with measurements (seems to be dependent on the individual recipe most times it seems). In this recipe, is the 2 1/2 cups measured out of flour before it's sifted or after it's sifted?

The general rule is "flour, sifted" means you measure it first then sift it, while "sifted flour" would be sifted and then measured. It is sort of like whipping cream (original state) and whipped cream (already whipped).

Hope this helps.

I have a caramel mousse filling, but rarely use it as a frosting because of how rich it is. This cake sounds wonderful!

Thanks for that, LP. I'm used to using those kind of rules in recipe formats myself, but find it seems to change from person to person sometimes. I'll take it as I originally thought (and as you pointed out) when I go to make it.

This sounds rather magnificent. Such a lovely combination of spices! I do have a technical question though -

I get mixed responses when it comes to recipes saying things like 'sifted flour' with measurements (seems to be dependent on the individual recipe most times it seems). In this recipe, is the 2 1/2 cups measured out of flour before it's sifted or after it's sifted?

sorry for the late reply,i just saw your post,in this particular case,u have to first sift the flour and then measure it!

Thanks for the clarification, Sarah! Does make all the difference I find when baking between before and after.

2 1/2 cups sifted cake flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ginger
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1/4 teaspon ground cardamom
1/2 cup softened butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1 cup granulated sugar
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 1/4 cups buttermilk

Enjoy!!!

I made this for my friends b-day and cooked it in 2 9 inch pans. It was AWESOME and I wanted to thank you for posting this recipe. I iced the 2 layers with cream cheese icing and then for good measure made your caramel sauce and drizzled it over the chilled cake. It looked great and tasted even better. This ones going in the 'do it again' pile.

:chef:

I made this for my friends b-day and cooked it in 2 9 inch pans. It was AWESOME and I wanted to thank you for posting this recipe. I iced the 2 layers with cream cheese icing and then for good measure made your caramel sauce and drizzled it over the chilled cake. It looked great and tasted even better. This ones going in the 'do it again' pile.

:chef:

So glad u tried it and liked it!and your finished cake sounds delicious,wish u had taken a photo though :p

I always think about a picture when I'm done with dinner...empty plates anyone?
img_963108_0_ea6cdb07d444b2ac4565582a9185847c.jpg

Back
Top Bottom