C is for Carrot Cake, S is for Sad

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sprout

Sous Chef
I tried making Goodweed's TnT Carrot Cake recipe for DH's birthday tomorrow and learned an important lesson. When making a multiple or fraction of a recipe, it's worth the extra time to do all the math beforehand and rewrite the recipe for the batch you're making. It's late and work dragged on tonight, so I'm a rather tired. Therefore, it's not terribly surprising that I forgot to cut the amounts water and molasses in half after halving the rest of the recipe. The thin cake I made out of extra batter has a great flavor and a lovely, light, moist texture. The 3 mini round cakes I had planned to layer however, fell miserably. I suppose I'll just warm and serve them in the dishes I baked them in with warm cream cheese frosting and perhaps a scoop of vanilla icecream. Oh, the other lesson: go to bed! Night all!

I tried making Goodweed's TnT Carrot Cake recipe for DH's birthday tomorrow and learned an important lesson. When making a multiple or fraction of a recipe, it's worth the extra time to do all the math beforehand and rewrite the recipe for the batch you're making. It's late and work dragged on tonight, so I'm a rather tired. Therefore, it's not terribly surprising that I forgot to cut the amounts water and molasses in half after halving the rest of the recipe. The thin cake I made out of extra batter has a great flavor and a lovely, light, moist texture. The 3 mini round cakes I had planned to layer however, fell miserably. I suppose I'll just warm and serve them in the dishes I baked them in with warm cream cheese frosting and perhaps a scoop of vanilla icecream. Oh, the other lesson: go to bed! Night all!
I started writing them down when I forgot to cut some of the ingredients when I was making Cherries and Dumplings about 30 years ago. I tried to salvage it by adding the rest of the ingredients, but I ended up with "Cherries and Tennis Balls." Fortunately it was just for me, so I ate it anyway. The tennis balls (dumplings) were pretty chewy, but they didn't taste too bad. :blush:

:)Barbara

Last edited:
The Williamsburg Cookbook from Colonial Williamsburg Foundation has a wonderful carrot cake recipe. It's baked in a tube pan. It also uses pecans and golden raisins and is fairly easy to make. I no longer have the cookbook but it is still in print. Has many terrific recipes.

I've done this more than once.

I then started typing recipes with two ingredient lists, one that's half the other so I don't have to calculate on the fly or forget to cut in half.

Then I found I'd use all the amounts from the half recipe but accidentally use one ingredient measure from the full recipe.

Then I got some Post-It notes to cover one of the two ingredients lists. That solved that problem.

The other day, I wanted to make apple squares so I bought three pounds of apples. Not until I got all the ingredients mixed did I realize I should have used three apples not three pounds. I saved that recipe by doubling all the other ingredients and making two. Fortunately, I had noticed that the three pounds of apples I bought equaled six apples so I had exactly twice what I needed.

I'm more likely to double or triple a recipe...I like the leftovers. Good suggestions, I'll remember to do the math BEFORE I am cooking.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom