"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-21-2012, 12:58 PM   #21
Sous Chef

I know in my kitchen I'm the boss and I can do what ever I want. I would go with what I have on hand and mix the two using my best estimates, probably heavy on the cream. Maybe a new recipe would be created.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:10 PM   #22
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

There is almost never just milk in my kitchen, I don't drink it. But there is always 1/2&1/2...that is what I use for all things needing milk.

Old 07-21-2012, 01:34 PM   #23
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
I know in my kitchen I'm the boss and I can do what ever I want.
Lol. Must be nice! Alas, in my kitchen... I am not the boss. I am not even the line cook. I believe the dishwasher is at a higher pay grade than I am. No... me... I'm at the mercy of my equipment, ingredients, and my woeful lack of imagination and skill

- Steven
Old 07-21-2012, 03:40 PM   #24
Cook

Ok, baked but not yet tasted (still in the midst of decorating). I'm waiting for the chocolate to freeze before continuing.

At least there was no disaster :) From the trimmings, I'd say its still a tiny bit dry. And a wee too salty :( Other than that, its cake! Tastes good. I'm sure I can't tell that I put sour cream in it... I don't detect that flavor at all. Then again, I don't have the most refined pallet in the world. Its not a big enough winner to bother posting as a fabulous recipe.

Here's the base recipe (credit - I did just the cake, not their icing)

Quote:
Cinnamon Vanilla Cake:
  • 2 sticks butter
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 large eggs
  • 3 cups sifted all-purpose flour
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup whole milk
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
And, as stated before, I modified "1 cup whole milk" as previously described.

For the cinnamon, I used this stuff, which I can recommend! It tastes SO much better than your typical store-bought stuff.

For the first topping, I asked on another thread for some suggestions of a "crunchy" (wrong word really) chocolate topping. It worked fantastic! I'm waiting for it to get hard so I can then top that with some butter cream. The chocolate is there more for texture than taste, but we'll see how it works out :) Its meant as a bit of a surprise to the eater. Here's a picture of how it is so far:

Speaking of "suprises", I decided to get a little silly with the cake itself:

- Steven
Old 07-21-2012, 04:50 PM   #25
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
For the first topping, I asked on another thread for some suggestions of a "crunchy" (wrong word really) chocolate topping. It worked fantastic! I'm waiting for it to get hard so I can then top that with some butter cream. The chocolate is there more for texture than taste, but we'll see how it works out :) Its meant as a bit of a surprise to the eater. Here's a picture of how it is so far:
Speaking of "suprises", I decided to get a little silly with the cake itself:
- Steven
Very awesome surprises for your guests, what a great imagination you have. I can't wait to see it with it's first cut piece. Great thread.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #26
Cook

Thanks! I'll really try to remember to get a picture once the first slice is out... but there will be a lot going on. Here are some pictures of the finished cake. I couldn't find my %@$@#! offset spatula anywhere, and I didn't have a lot of luck smoothing the icing with my rubber flipper and spoon handle attempts lol. Oh well. The gum paste flowers came out nice :)

- Steven

Old 07-21-2012, 07:26 PM   #27
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

That's very pretty!
Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

That cake looks stunning!

I love the decorations with the flowers and the butterflies, just perfect

Are those flowers and butterflies readily available in stores and if so, what type of stores would sell them?
Old 07-21-2012, 09:40 PM   #29
Sous Chef

The cake looks like a really fun project! I'm sure when you serve it, it will be perfect. How can it not be with 2 sticks of butter. Every thing is better with butter in it. I hope we get to see a picture of it when you cut it.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #30
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldvine View Post
The cake looks like a really fun project! I'm sure when you serve it, it will be perfect. How can it not be with 2 sticks of butter. Every thing is better with butter in it. I hope we get to see a picture of it when you cut it.
Yeah, but he left out bacon!

Tags
cake, cream, milk, other