"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-20-2012, 02:11 PM   #1
Cook

Cake: 18% cream instead of whole milk?

Thought I'd ask before trying.

Cake recipe calls for 1 cup whole milk. A lot of the comments complain its too dry. Several suggest adding "extra milk" and 1/4 cup sour cream.

I know this sounds dumb... but I don't want to run to the store (again!). I have 1% skim milk and 18% cream. I also have 14% sour cream. What would you do?

Cheers :)

- Steven

Old 07-20-2012, 02:24 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

As you know, baking is a science. If the recipe call for 100% then that is what you should be using. Are you saying the yogurt is only 14% fat? Are both the sour cream and yogurt low fat? Using low fat products is not going to solve your problem with too much satisfaction. Is this a yelllow or chocolate cake?

What would I do? I would find another recipe that called for all the ingredients I do have on hand or I would make that run to the store.

Old 07-20-2012, 03:01 PM   #3
Cook

Well... first off, 100% would be... well, lard I guess?

I think you misunderstand fat content.

"whole" milk is 3.25% milk fat by volume. What I have is 1% and 18%. The sour cream is actually a relatively high fat content at 14% ("light", by comparison, is typically around 5%). Yogurt wasn't mentioned.

So with the science of it, I could do the math and combine appropriate amounts of 18% and 1% to get pretty close to a 3.25% yield... but that wasn't really the question.

As I mentioned, comments were that the recipe was too dry. As I'm sure YOU know :)... baking is just as much an art as it is a science. The classic time-tested 1-2-3-4 cake recipe has endured for (hundreds of?) years... are we really to believe that it actually happens that this radio is scientifically derived? No, its more a matter of round numbers, convenience, and easy to remember. Every recipe can be tweaked. This one, according to others, is too dry so people add "more milk" (which is vague) and 1/4 cup fo sour cream (no mention of fat content). So my question, really, was for opinions and feelings on what I might try with the 18%/1% mixture as 1) a substitute for 3.25% and b) to accomodate the "dry" aspect.

I have to run to the store now anyway... not enough butter... but I'm still hesitant to buy whole milk for this unless there's a good reason :)
Old 07-20-2012, 03:18 PM   #4
Cook

FYI - I did the math (just in case anyone else every needs a cup of whole milk and only had 18% an 1% lol)

2 tablespoons of 18% cream and 14 tablespoons of 1% milk is very close to 1c of 3.25% "whole" milk

If you have 2% milk... its 4 tablespoons of cream and 44 teaspoons of 2%

But that's being pretty exact :) I doubt anyone wants to count out 44 teaspoons! lol. So probably just take a cup of 2% and minus 1.5tbs, then add in 1.5tbs of cream and that's going to be close enough ;)
Old 07-20-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

If the cake is too dry, you may want to try taking it out of the oven 2 minutes or so sooner.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:45 PM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
If the cake is too dry, you may want to try taking it out of the oven 2 minutes or so sooner.
STOP trying to simplify what is clearly an exercise in mathematics and art! (I am kidding, good suggestion.)
If it was dry, I'd add 1/4 cup applesauce.
Old 07-20-2012, 08:55 PM   #7
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

And I would add a tablespoon of oil.
Old 07-20-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
Cook

I have 5w40, but I think its synthetic. Would that work?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

sure, why not?
Old 07-20-2012, 09:07 PM   #10
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by s_mack View Post
are we really to believe that it actually happens that this radio is scientifically derived?
Of course that should have read "ratio", not "radio"

Tags
cake, cream, milk, other