Cake Challenge for the Christmas Season

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chief, If it is a Christmas cake competition, how about just looking for the best chocolate cake that has seasonal touches to it. For example:

A chocolate layer cake with a filling of peppermint whipped cream and drizzled with chocolate ganache.

A chocolate cake that is in a Christmas shape - holly leaf, bell, etc.

A chocolate cake that is made into a yule log

The possibilities are endless. :chef:

Thank you LB. A poke cake is not fit for human consumption. There is a reason it didn't last too long. I would hate to waste all those good ingredients on a product that no one will eat. :angel:

I'm not exactly sure what a "poke cake" is. The cake I was using as a reference is a simple yellow, or white cake, stabbed with a fork, all over the top, and then soaked with hot jello, or pudding before it's set. The cake is then chilled, and the pudding or jello creates a rich flavor, and moist, but not gooey, texture within the cake.

The ones I've eaten were very much enjoyed by those who made them, and we who ate them.

And for LPBier, no, this isn't a competition, rather, an exercise in creativity, hopefully producing something good enough to call "The Ultimate DC Chocolate Cake".:yum:

If it turns out to be a decadent layer cake, then that's ok. If it's something along the lines of my description, that's ok too.

I'm looking for creativity that goes beyond what we already know. I'm looking for spontaneity. I'm looking for something spectacular. I know we have the talent in our little, world-wide-DC-community to do this. So put on your thinking caps, turn on your creativity circuits up there in your heads. Let's get this done before Christmas.:mrgreen:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Last edited:
Chief, and everyone else, you are not talking apples and oranges.

The Jell-O company came up with an idea of making a pan cake and while it is hot you poke it with a wooden spoon handle (later a fork) all over and add either warm Jell-O jelly or pudding and cool in the refrigerator.

Over the years, copies and alternative recipes were invented with ganache, warm jam, etc. being added to the holes.

And Chief, I meant challenge not competition. I have my signature cake recipe but the only person anywhere in my life that I gave it to was Ma. She loved it and vowed never to share it. I need to honour that too. :)

Chief, and everyone else, you are not talking apples and oranges.

The Jell-O company came up with an idea of making a pan cake and while it is hot you poke it with a wooden spoon handle (later a fork) all over and add either warm Jell-O jelly or pudding and cool in the refrigerator.

Over the years, copies and alternative recipes were invented with ganache, warm jam, etc. being added to the holes.

And Chief, I meant challenge not competition. I have my signature cake recipe but the only person anywhere in my life that I gave it to was Ma. She loved it and vowed never to share it. I need to honour that too. :)

Good to know. I share everything I create. I have no secrets. But then again, I don't divulge any secret things given to me in trust. I respect you for your decision. Any other "WOW" recipes that you have though, are certainly welcome.

I may just make a Christmas Log type of cake for this. I'm still trying to decide.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

I'm not exactly sure what a "poke cake" is. The cake I was using as a reference is a simple yellow, or white cake, stabbed with a fork, all over the top, and then soaked with hot jello, or pudding before it's set. The cake is then chilled, and the pudding or jello creates a rich flavor, and moist, but not gooey, texture within the cake.

What you just described would be a poke cake. Although some folks would use something larger than a fork for the holes. BTW, those that have mentioned using a straw, it would act as a cutter, removing "cake core samples".;)

Addie! Check this out!

The Country Cook: Boston Cream Poke Cake

You'll love it! :ROFLMAO:

Thank you. I have it marked. I saw another one where they poured chocolate syrup into the holes. Since I make my own syrup, I can adjust the thickness and it will go well with the chocolate cake. But now this one has me thinking. Hmmmm. Sure send me something more to confuse me. I can make my own vanilla or chocolate pudding. I just love it when I start thinking too much. I started out with a simple idea and now it is just running away. :angel:

It's not a poke cake, but this the next project for me - looks pretty simple and seasonally appropriate. Not sure how you can go wrong with chocolate and andes mints.... ;)

Andes+Mint+Cake5+logo.jpg

Back
Top Bottom