Cake Decorating Using Wafer (rice) Paper

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
Hi, I just picked up a book at my local library that shows how to make decorations using rice paper. Has anyone ever done this? It requires something called piping gel, which I don't have. Thinking about picking some up to give it a try. Do you know if piping gel can be used for other stuff and if it has a long shelf life? Thanks!!:)

Piping gel is like what you get at the grocery store but better, so don't try to substitute. The grocery store stuff is a lot more runny and gloppy.

If you have a Michael's or another craft store around you, I know Wilton carries it.

Piping gel can be used for writing or other decorating right on the cake in addition to the rice paper technique (which is fun!). You can also mix it with butter cream to make a decorating icing that's lighter in color (pastel) and consistency (good for writing).

Thanks! I just tried cutting out the a rice paper design last night. I'm surprised that it actually worked. I thought the paer would be too brittle. I might pick some gel up. :)

Trace a pattern onto the rice paper. Use the coloured piping gels to "colour" and "fill-in" the pattern.

After frosting your cake, lay the finished "art-work" on the cake.. The icing will dissolves the paper over time, but even so, it is edible.

Back
Top Bottom