Cake Doughnuts - Icing Help Please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sonofdays

Assistant Cook
My father would buy cake doughnuts whenever I had friends over when I was growing up and I don't even need sentimental value to love them. Cake doughnuts are far better than the glazed garbage that choked them out of almost every bakery I've found.

Anyway, I've found the perfect recipe and baking pan to make them, but I can't recreate the icing. This is the icing recipe I've had the most success with, but it's not cutting it:

ingredients
1/2 stick butter
3 tablespoons milk
2 tablespoons cocoa
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup confectioner's sugar

Cake doughnuts are meant to have thicker/harder icing than this. The recipe has the ingredients brought to a boil before applying to the doughnuts and the icing does harden to some extent, but to recreate the doughnut from my childhood I need an icing that is harder after it cools down and is ideally a little thicker/richer (it should be opaque). Whether chocolate or vanilla, what do I need to do to make a thicker/harder icing? I've searched countless recipe websites and haven't found anything comparable to or better than this =(

Benjamin

Don't use butter. I just use a glaze of powdered sugar and milk, with a little flavoring. Without the butter, it hardens up just fine. If you want more than a glaze, use more sugar, less milk.
and, I never cook it.

I'm going to have to try this tomorrow =) I never would've imagined that. They're healthier and more of what I want without butter.

I didn't know people used butter in glaze/frosting until I was an adult! haha! We grew up in a frugal household on the northern plains.

Milk and 10X sugar mixed to your desired consistency....Add a little cocoa if ya want chocolate...Or just shake on 10X sugar like beignets

Enjoy!

Are you baking the cake donuts? I have never heard of that. We always made cake donuts by rolling out the dough and frying them.

I too love cake style donuts, my favorite is a cake donut tossed in granulated sugar right out of the fryer, the sugar melts slightly making it a bit crunchy.

A great yeast raised donut can be a beautiful thing too if made right! :)

Back
Top Bottom