Cake dries out after 1 day help!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Feastingmadeeasy

Assistant Cook
This is the recipe that I'm using, I baked the cake, let it cool and it is nice and moist, the next day it is dried out. What is wrong??:(

The recipe:

Yellow Cake

1 c. butter softened
2 c. sugar
3 c. cake flour sifted
1 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract

Preheat oven to 350º F.

Grease and flour 3) 9-inch cake pans.

Cream butter. Gradually add sugar, creaming until light and fluffy.
(Beat 1 to 2 minutes with electric mixer or longer by hand). Sift flour with baking powder and salt. Add eggs one at a time to creamed mixture, beating well after each addition. Add flour mixture alternately with milk and flavorings, beating after each addition until smooth.

Pour batter into three prepared pans. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool in pans 10 minutes. Remove from pans and finish cooling on racks. Fill and frost as desired.

Try adding a simple syrup wash to the layers while they are still in the pan cooling. The added moisture will surely be noticable.

You are baking what we Americans would identify as a 4 egg cake.
The recipe:

Yellow Cake
1 c. butter softened
2 c. sugar
3 c. cake flour sifted
1 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
Preheat oven to 350º F.

*Make absolutely sure that your butter is no warmer than 75F. (this is not the melted butter or oil recipe)(use hard block butter....not whipped)

*Reduce the cake flour to 2 2/3 cup (you may want to double sift)

*Reduce baking powder to 2 1/4 tsp.... (sift with flour)

*Eggs need to be room temperature (72-75F) (set them out first while you
gather your ingredients and prepare your pans...should be long enough unless you work rather fast.)

*Unless the recipe states otherwise all milk used in the recipes are whole milk and not the popular 2%, skim...etc; 2% etc has too much water in it). Butter is the same unless the recipe states otherwise because the whipped products have water in them.

From your recipe and description of how you mixed it, I can tell that you are a good cook and enjoy baking. I hope this helps to keep your cake moist.

You're wonderful, thank you so much!!!!! I baked the cake with the changes made on sat, the cake is still moist! This will be my offical recipe to use. :chef:
StirBlue said:
You are baking what we Americans would identify as a 4 egg cake.
The recipe:

Yellow Cake
1 c. butter softened
2 c. sugar

3 c. cake flour sifted
1 tbs. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
4 eggs
1 c. milk
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 tsp. almond extract
Preheat oven to 350º F.

*Make absolutely sure that your butter is no warmer than 75F. (this is not the melted butter or oil recipe)(use hard block butter....not whipped)

*Reduce the cake flour to 2 2/3 cup (you may want to double sift)

*Reduce baking powder to 2 1/4 tsp.... (sift with flour)

*Eggs need to be room temperature (72-75F) (set them out first while you
gather your ingredients and prepare your pans...should be long enough unless you work rather fast.)

*Unless the recipe states otherwise all milk used in the recipes are whole milk and not the popular 2%, skim...etc; 2% etc has too much water in it). Butter is the same unless the recipe states otherwise because the whipped products have water in them.

From your recipe and description of how you mixed it, I can tell that you are a good cook and enjoy baking. I hope this helps to keep your cake moist.

Back
Top Bottom