"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-27-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
Cook

Cake flour substitute

i am from the UK and i have a problem with getting cake flour for my bundt cake and pound cake recipes. i've heard of the plain flour + cornstarch substitute, but i read somewhere that it's not really a good thing to do for delicate cakes like these. would anybody know of an alternative? there's a product being sold here called Self-raising sponge flour...is that cake flour? thanks!

Old 07-29-2006, 01:22 AM   #2
Cook

It's all to do with the protein level of the flour. Cake flour is made from soft wheat that is bleached to increase it's ability to absorb liquid, sugar and fats.

Most substitutions are either
* 1 c cake flour = 12-14 tb plain flour + 4-2 tb cornstarch or other low gluten starch] OR
* 1 c cake flour = 7/8 c plain flour.

Description of sponge flour: ' milled from specially selected soft wheats producing an extremely fine flour ideal for sponge making. It can absorb more moisture and sugar than standard flour and will produce a very light, soft texture.'

If it is Self-Raising sponge flour, then it can be substitued for Self-Raising cake flour Or plain Cake flour and the leaveners in the recipe.

Generally, protein levels are [BUT they can fluctuate wildly due to locational, seasonal and $$$ factors]:
• Plain Flour……9%-13%
• Cake flour……………6%-10%
• Pastry flour…………..8%-11%
• Self-Raising flour……..8%-11.5%

Old 07-29-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
Executive Chef

I suspect that SR flour is the UK's version of cake flour
Old 07-29-2006, 05:57 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Cake Flour, usually self raising, is a low-gluten flour which makes cakes lighter and more crumbly. It is not readily available in Australia. If a recipe calls for cake flour, make your own substitute by removing 3 tablespoons per cup of flour and replacing it with either cornflour (cornstarch if you live in America!) or potato flour.
Old 07-31-2006, 12:10 PM   #5
Master Chef

In the United States, self-rising flour is normally AP flour with salt and baking powder added to it. Its protein content will be the same as AP.

But you can also buy self-rising cake flour.

I wonder if King Arthur ships internationally?
Old 07-31-2006, 02:16 PM   #6
Cook

thanks for the suggestions. unfortunately, most US products don't ship internationally. i have procured the self-rising sponge flour i mentioned, but i still have to try it. will let you know if it will produce a lighter cake.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:59 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hi Daisy, if i were to use the cake flour substitute of unbleached plain flour with added corn flour, i realise that this doesn't really work for all recipes, especially for certain cakes like sponge cakes which will result in a denser cake....pretty much different from the original recipe that uses cake flour or bleached plain flour with added corn flour.

I've just moved to Australia and realised I can only find plain unbleached flour and self-raising flour (they don't mention on the package whether it's bleached or not) in the supermarkets. Can I find bleached plain flour or self-rising sponge flour in the shops here?
Old 09-26-2007, 08:09 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Dina
Arlien,
I'd double sift all purpose flour if you can't find cake flour. I have always used sifted all purpose flour in cakes and it works wonderfully. Here's a site for you to check into Cake Flour Substitute Recipe | Recipezaar Good luck.

Tags
None