Cake Flour! URGENT NEED REPLY!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jesse_cool5

Assistant Cook
Well I'm making Death by Ganache Chocolate Cake posted by Audeo today and the recipe calls for cake flour which i can't find at the shop (unless cake flour is called something else in australia such as cornflour? which we use for sponge cakes.) If not is there some other way i could make cake flour for this recipe? (searching on google provided a hundred ways and was wondering if there was a recipe someone has tried)

Cake flour is lower in protein than AP flour so it gives cakes a more tender crumb.

You can make a "mock" cake flour by removing 2T of your all purpose flour and adding 2T of cornstarch. I have not done this, though it is a generally accepted method.

But I'd probably just make the cake from all AP flour. I've done that a million times.

Cake flour is a little softer and finer than all-purpose (AP) flour. It will give your cake a more tender crumb, but AP will also work without ruining the result.

GMTA, jenny! I was going to suggest whizzing it in the blender/food processor for a bit, but I think your method and conclusion are both fine.

I see, well i'll just use plain flour then thanks for your replies. Its for my mates 18th party tonite so im sure he won't really care how tender the crumb is.

edit: well i guess i better start now, since im not that great at icing i presume its going to take me a while to get it nice.

Last edited:
mudbug said:
GMTA, jenny! I was going to suggest whizzing it in the blender/food processor for a bit, but I think your method and conclusion are both fine.

What happened to the flour sifter? Can you get it sifted in the blender/food processor? How odd!

StirBlue said:
What happened to the flour sifter? Can you get it sifted in the blender/food processor? How odd!

I just used plain flour that i sifted a couple of times, well now the cake is in the oven wonder how it will turn out :chef:.

We don't grow the type of wheat that cake flour comes from but it is available commercially. You may be able to get cake flour from some wholesalers "open to the public".

I do the 2 tablespoons [aust] of cornflour, or even custard powder, in the bottom of a metric [aust] cup and topped with plain flour: the protein level then works out approximate to cake flour.

Back
Top Bottom