Cake help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Izabellax18

Assistant Cook
I attached a picture, hopefully you guys can see it.. But I'd like to make a birthday cake that looks like that. But I was wondering 1. If anybody had a idea how to make the chocolates stick to the side of the cake and 2. Any good ideas on how to make the icing look like dirt? I had some ideas.. But It's always good to get some more :) I'm honestly not sure about how to get the chocolates to stick though..

Also if you can't view the picture let me know and I'll put it up another way. I'm on my phone and I'm not sure if it attached or not.

:chef:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 280
For dirt I would try crushed oreo cookies, crushed chocolate wafers, crushed chocolate covered graham crackers or crushed malted milk balls.

To make the chocolates stick I would start constructing the rock pile from the bottom and use dabs of melted chocolate or frosting to construct the rock pile and build up from the base, leaning rocks against the side of the cake for some support.

I would stay away from toothpicks or nonfood items to support the chocolates unless all of your construction workers are over the age of 18.

Great idea, good luck!

These would be nice to put in your truck. I have seen them in the local Wegman's bulk food area.

Chocolate Rocks River Stones • Chocolate Candy Delights • Bulk Chocolate • Oh! Nuts®

Last edited:
and another thing!!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

I think I would make it easy on myself and adapt this idea to a 9x13 or 10x15 sheet cake. The flat surface would make it easier to create a construction site with three little trucks, payloaders, bulldozers etc...

The construction material could be milk duds, malted milk balls bridgemix, miniature chocolate chips etc....

This would make the creation of a cake like this much less stressful and I don't think the construction crew would notice the change.

Please let us know how you make out with this!

That was my thought, using cookie crumbs for the dirt.. Also I've never seen the chocolate rocks before, I'm gonna have to look for those :) and I will definitely be doing it on a sheet cake rather than the cake in the picture, so I have more room because I will still need to write happy birthday and put candles on it. Thank you :) I will be sure to share a pic and let you know how it turns out.

If you are going to start putting a lot of those heavy little toys, plus loading them with candy, on even a sheet cake, I would make sure there is some kind of support, either the plastic plates or cardboard cut-out plates on dowels, especially if the cake is going to be sitting for a while. Either that or use a really super dense cake. Otherwise, your construction site may develop sinkholes.

You're right, I wouldn't want anything to happen to it.. I'll be sure to give it some support, I have a few weeks before this would have to be done, I'm just trying to get some ideas about it.

The dirt looks like cocoa powder to me. The rocks could be truffles and all kinds of mini candies, some cut into pieces. And if you use a sheet cake, you won't need to make them stick to the side! :)

There are two ways to make the perfect icing for this cake.

1) take 2 cups of whipping cream and put in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup cocoa and 1/2 cup icing sugar and stir together. Put in the fridge for at least an hour then beat until fluffy.

2) take 2 cups whipping cream and 1 four serving instant chocolate pudding in a bowl, stir together and put in the fridge for at least an hour, beat until fluffy.

Ice the cake then use a small sifter or shaker to sprinkle some cocoa over top of the frosting. If you work fast enough, and add a little more frosting where you want the candy, you should be able to stick the candy easily. Keep the cake in the fridge until serving.

Please forgive me if I have repeated anything anyone else has said. I will be honest that I haven't read the thread....I usually do.

There are two ways to make the perfect icing for this cake.

1) take 2 cups of whipping cream and put in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup cocoa and 1/2 cup icing sugar and stir together. Put in the fridge for at least an hour then beat until fluffy.

2) take 2 cups whipping cream and 1 four serving instant chocolate pudding in a bowl, stir together and put in the fridge for at least an hour, beat until fluffy...

We do option #1 but don't refrigerate it first. Is that to make whipping it easier?

I haven't tried it with instant pudding. Does that give a different texture/flavor from #1?

Andy, yes, it does seem to help it whip easier. I have always chilled my bowl and beaters before whipping cream and the cocoa weighs the cream down a little so I find chilling it does help.

The pudding gives it a bit fuller texture, not as light and airy, but not really heavy. It also gives it a richer taste.

My preference for most cakes is to do the cocoa and sugar, but for this application the pudding may help the candy stay better.

I attached a picture, hopefully you guys can see it.. But I'd like to make a birthday cake that looks like that. But I was wondering 1. If anybody had a idea how to make the chocolates stick to the side of the cake and 2. Any good ideas on how to make the icing look like dirt? I had some ideas.. But It's always good to get some more :) I'm honestly not sure about how to get the chocolates to stick though..

Also if you can't view the picture let me know and I'll put it up another way. I'm on my phone and I'm not sure if it attached or not.

:chef:
To attach the chocolates try cocktail sticks (but warn the people who will eat it!)

Dirt? Try grating bar chocolate finely.

Haven't been on here in a while, but I meant to post a pic of the cake after it was finished

It wasn't quite like the pic I put up originally, but I did use one of the icing recipes suggested, I ordered the chocolate rocks off of the website (I had plenty left over and we snack on them every now and then lol), it was 3 small tiers (you can sorta tell) and my dirt was just crushed Oreos. he was pretty happy with the cake, it tasted great too :) thanks everybody!

ImageUploadedByDiscuss Cooking1402453750.590713.jpg

I know it isn't like the picture.. At all really, but you guys definatley helped lol
Might try it again sometime but happy with how this one came out. :)

It looks great! And don't worry about it not being like the picture - it is better that way because it is your own unique style.

You did a great job and I am sure your son enjoyed that you made it specially for him.

Back
Top Bottom