"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-18-2014, 02:13 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Talking Cake help?

I attached a picture, hopefully you guys can see it.. But I'd like to make a birthday cake that looks like that. But I was wondering 1. If anybody had a idea how to make the chocolates stick to the side of the cake and 2. Any good ideas on how to make the icing look like dirt? I had some ideas.. But It's always good to get some more :) I'm honestly not sure about how to get the chocolates to stick though..

Also if you can't view the picture let me know and I'll put it up another way. I'm on my phone and I'm not sure if it attached or not.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	20955  

Old 03-18-2014, 06:27 AM   #2
Master Chef

For dirt I would try crushed oreo cookies, crushed chocolate wafers, crushed chocolate covered graham crackers or crushed malted milk balls.

To make the chocolates stick I would start constructing the rock pile from the bottom and use dabs of melted chocolate or frosting to construct the rock pile and build up from the base, leaning rocks against the side of the cake for some support.

I would stay away from toothpicks or nonfood items to support the chocolates unless all of your construction workers are over the age of 18.

Great idea, good luck!

These would be nice to put in your truck. I have seen them in the local Wegman's bulk food area.

Chocolate Rocks River Stones € Chocolate Candy Delights € Bulk Chocolate € Oh! Nuts®

Old 03-18-2014, 07:48 AM   #3
Master Chef

and another thing!!!!

I think I would make it easy on myself and adapt this idea to a 9x13 or 10x15 sheet cake. The flat surface would make it easier to create a construction site with three little trucks, payloaders, bulldozers etc...

The construction material could be milk duds, malted milk balls bridgemix, miniature chocolate chips etc....

This would make the creation of a cake like this much less stressful and I don't think the construction crew would notice the change.

Please let us know how you make out with this!
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

That was my thought, using cookie crumbs for the dirt.. Also I've never seen the chocolate rocks before, I'm gonna have to look for those :) and I will definitely be doing it on a sheet cake rather than the cake in the picture, so I have more room because I will still need to write happy birthday and put candles on it. Thank you :) I will be sure to share a pic and let you know how it turns out.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:53 AM   #5
Head Chef

If you are going to start putting a lot of those heavy little toys, plus loading them with candy, on even a sheet cake, I would make sure there is some kind of support, either the plastic plates or cardboard cut-out plates on dowels, especially if the cake is going to be sitting for a while. Either that or use a really super dense cake. Otherwise, your construction site may develop sinkholes.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

You're right, I wouldn't want anything to happen to it.. I'll be sure to give it some support, I have a few weeks before this would have to be done, I'm just trying to get some ideas about it.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:03 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

The dirt looks like cocoa powder to me. The rocks could be truffles and all kinds of mini candies, some cut into pieces. And if you use a sheet cake, you won't need to make them stick to the side!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:52 AM   #8
Certified Cake Maniac

There are two ways to make the perfect icing for this cake.

1) take 2 cups of whipping cream and put in a large bowl. Add 1/4 cup cocoa and 1/2 cup icing sugar and stir together. Put in the fridge for at least an hour then beat until fluffy.

2) take 2 cups whipping cream and 1 four serving instant chocolate pudding in a bowl, stir together and put in the fridge for at least an hour, beat until fluffy.

Ice the cake then use a small sifter or shaker to sprinkle some cocoa over top of the frosting. If you work fast enough, and add a little more frosting where you want the candy, you should be able to stick the candy easily. Keep the cake in the fridge until serving.

Please forgive me if I have repeated anything anyone else has said. I will be honest that I haven't read the thread....I usually do.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Actually, Laurie, you didn't repeat anything, and since you're the master baker among us, I'm glad you jumped in!
Old 03-18-2014, 09:56 AM   #10
Certified Cake Maniac

You may have already done this, but check this out.
https://www.google.ca/search?q=dumpt...w=1920&bih=955

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cake, other