"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-11-2019, 10:56 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Cake in a cup, not cupcakes

Iíve been looking at recipes for mug cakes, they seem to be trending these days. There are even commercial versions on the shelf at Smithís. I tried one, and it was a complete disaster! So Iím wondering if I might be more successful with a homemade version.

Does anyone have experience with mug cakes? If you do, do you have any pointers, tips, or caveats for me?

Old 02-12-2019, 02:26 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

JJ, can you fill us in on what when wrong and perhaps we can help you. I used to make them for my kids for their lunch pails when they were in grade school. Then they got too big for it to be cool enough for them.

Old 02-12-2019, 02:30 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
JJ, can you fill us in on what when wrong and perhaps we can help you. I used to make them for my kids for their lunch pails when they were in grade school. Then they got too big for it to be cool enough for them.
I really couldn’t tell you what went wrong! It was a little paper container like cup of noodles comes in. One removes the lid, pours water or milk in up to the measuring line, then zaps it for a minute or so. Mine erupted like Vesuvius. Took me 1/2 hour to clean the microwave!
Old 02-12-2019, 02:51 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
I really couldn’t tell you what went wrong! It was a little paper container like cup of noodles comes in. One removes the lid, pours water or milk in up to the measuring line, then zaps it for a minute or so. Mine erupted like Vesuvius. Took me 1/2 hour to clean the microwave!
I don't think I have ever seen what you describe as a Cake In A Mug. I always used a ceramic coffee mug. And I placed the mugs in a pan of water to keep the mugs from breaking. Remember, when my kids were small and in grade school, there were no microwaves. If you are willing to try again, here are a number of recipes where you use your own ingredients. Now you have my mouth watering for the lemon one. Good luck!

https://www.realsimple.com/holidays-...-day/mug-cakes
Old 02-12-2019, 03:18 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
...they seem to be trending these days...
Oh honey, they must be RE-trending these days! I have (somewhere) a paper recipe I printed off my tower computer (pre-cell phone, laptop, and tablet days) email way back in the early 2000's. Not gonna look for it now, though.

From what I remember when I made it, it was good. Perhaps the failure lies with that commercial version. I do remember the two I made for Himself and me were tasty. However, they still made a mess of things and it would have taken me not a whole lot more time to measure and bake-bake a real cake - one that would last more than one serving session. I've not bothered since. However, now you have me thinking about them again! This is close to the recipe I used - I think I used a 13-ounce mug.

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Quote:
... Mine erupted like Vesuvius. Took me 1/2 hour to clean the microwave!
Did you nuke it on the right power level? From your description, it sounds like it should have been less than a "full speed ahead!". On the plus side, just think of how clean the microwave oven is now!
Old 02-12-2019, 04:40 AM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Oh honey, they must be RE-trending these days! I have (somewhere) a paper recipe I printed off my tower computer (pre-cell phone, laptop, and tablet days) email way back in the early 2000's. Not gonna look for it now, though.

From what I remember when I made it, it was good. Perhaps the failure lies with that commercial version. I do remember the two I made for Himself and me were tasty. However, they still made a mess of things and it would have taken me not a whole lot more time to measure and bake-bake a real cake - one that would last more than one serving session. I've not bothered since. However, now you have me thinking about them again! This is close to the recipe I used - I think I used a 13-ounce mug.

5 Minute Chocolate Mug Cake

Did you nuke it on the right power level? From your description, it sounds like it should have been less than a "full speed ahead!". On the plus side, just think of how clean the microwave oven is now!
Oddly enough, I always got the mug back. But the kids had a knack of losing the spoons. So I switched to plastic spoons real quick. I always use to make Hershey's Chocolate Syrup and would pour that over their vanilla or chocolate cakes. One sandwich, a piece of fruit already peeled for them and wrapped in wax paper, and their cake in a mug. They each got a nickel to buy a milk, and if I was feeling plush (right after payday) a dime also for a Hoodsie Cup. (Ice Cream)

I think I should make that for Pirate again. It has been years since he had one. But one that doesn't require a topping. He can buy his own ice cream.
Old 02-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

CG, I have a whiff of a memory of a long ago thread here about cakes in a mug to be nuked. It was a lively thread as I remember but my search wasn't successful, and I didn't think they were good enough for more effort.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 11:04 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Look up 3-2-1 cake, or is it 1-2-3 cake? Anyway, it's angel food cake mix with whatever other cake flavor mix you like, along with an egg or something in a mug and nuked.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:08 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Look up 3-2-1 cake, or is it 1-2-3 cake? Anyway, it's angel food cake mix with whatever other cake flavor mix you like, along with an egg or something in a mug and nuked.

Thanks for the memory jog Dawg. Yep, that was it. There's "how to's" on the internet Joel if you're interested.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 10:24 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Thanks for the memory jog Dawg. Yep, that was it. There's "how to's" on the internet Joel if you're interested.
Thanks DL and Kayelle. I’ve actually done a bit of Internet research, but I haven’t made one yet.

Tags
cake, cakes, cupcakes