Cake Mix substitute

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael...thank you so much for the time you have invested in this. I will be trying it this week and will post my results. I am not as detailed as you...but I would have "guessed" about the same...so I'm ready to give it a whirl! Thank you again!

Well, it's been awhile..but that is because I am still experimenting. I love to change things! So far...most of these "cake mix" cakes that you add other ingredients to seem to do well with:
2-2 1/2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder

I have played with three different ones...that have different "added" ingredients to a cake mix. A couple 2 cups flour seem fine....some need 2 1/2....don't know why....just know how it should turn out. lol. I may be using a little more sugar than necessary...and I didn't add any salt. I would say overall Michael...you were right on the money! Thank you for your time...and the enjoyment I have had! By the way...what difference would adding the salt make? Also...I don't know when I should use baking powder...and when I should be using soda instead. It seems most cakes with fruit tend to use the soda...help from anyone please?

My guess is that the fruit supplies enough acid to react with the baking soda to make it rise properly. It is my understanding that baking powder provides the acid and the base and it needs moisture and heat to rise, assuming it is double acting baking powder.

I want to make chocolate gooey butter cookies but it calls for chocolate cake mix and i don't have one can it substitute it with something else?

thank you ^.^

Back
Top Bottom