Cake or Pie from Fresh Pineapple

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chefathome

Assistant Cook
Hello, Dear Folks.

I'd like to use a very sweet fresh pineapple I have for making a cake or a pie for a friend. However, most of the recipes I've found online call for canned pineapple chunks.

So, basically two questions:
1. Can I simply substitute fresh pineapple for the canned chunks?
2. Do you have any great recipes that will knock off my friend?

Thanks,
Arnon

I see no reason why you can't substitute one for one.

I can offer a pineapple upside down cake recipe baked in a cask iron skillet. Other than that I have nothing.

Oh, no, I mistakenly wrote "pineapple chunks" instead of "crushed pineapple"; the latter is what most of the recipes call for...

The one I made for my daughter was in a box. It called for adding a box of vanilla pudding. It made the cake so moist. It also call for a cup of water. But I used the juice left in the can instead. Gave the cake great pineapple flavor. So try to catch that juice from the pineapple if you can. Peel it in a shallow bowl if possible. If you find that you have some rings lift over, dice them small and mix in with the cake batter.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Fresh-Pineapple-Upside-Down-Cake/Detail.aspx

:angel:

Last edited:
I have used fresh in a number of recipes...including on top of pizza... all worked fine! Actually it may be even better. I think the only thing with tinned is very limited chance of any 'hard bits' of pineapple core.

Because pineapple is so acidic, I would be concerned with using an aluminum pan. I think I would opt for a non stick or stainless steel pan. Maybe even glass. :angel:

Though I don't have access to my home computer right now, and can't give you the from scratch recipe, this recipe - Easy Pineapple Upside-Down Cake recipe from Betty Crocker
will give you a pretty tasty pineapple upside down cake. Feel free to substitute a "from scratch Yellow Cake recipe in place of the box recipe. But the pineapple part, with the construction, and ingredients is very good.

Tip: Add an additional 2 tbs. cooking oil, or melted butter to the box recipe to make your cake so much better, if you use the box mix.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
http://www.bettycrocker.com/recipes...own-cake/c4d3321d-fad9-41cb-8f29-8d91a4279b07

Hello, Dear Folks.

I'd like to use a very sweet fresh pineapple I have for making a cake or a pie for a friend. However, most of the recipes I've found online call for canned pineapple chunks.

So, basically two questions:
1. Can I simply substitute fresh pineapple for the canned chunks?
2. Do you have any great recipes that will knock off my friend?

Thanks,
Arnon

I use fresh pineapple frequently in cakes.

I cut some up and give it a free ride in the blender. Measure it out to be sure it equals the liquid called for in the cake and put it in.

What I like about doing this is you get a great pineapple flavor, you get small chunks of the fruit and the cake is always super moist.

I've done it with white as well as yellow cake. I tried it with a banana and I didn't like it but DH did.

I made a pineapple upside down cake the same way ... had the pineapple rings and such as normal but added the blended pineapple with it's juice for the liquid .. it was awesome.

Back
Top Bottom