"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 04-27-2011, 08:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cake Pops

Hi everyone,

I have a question about Cake Pops. Is it better to use candy melts to cover the cake pops, or is it just as good to use melted chocolate? Is the chocolate strong enough to keep the cake pops falling off their sticks?

I live in outback Australia, and the shipping costs for candy melts is a nightmare! I'm planning to make about 400 cake pops for a fundraising event and I'm keen to know what works best (before purchasing 4 kilos of chocolate melts!)

Old 04-28-2011, 07:53 AM   #2
Head Chef

First I'll apologize because this won't be a bit of good insofar as your question. But I just have to say how great it is to open up my computer in South Florida, USA, and find a question about cake pops (never heard of them, but sound like fun), from Outback Australia, from someone with the cool name of CelticOwl. How great is that???!!?? Let's hear it for the Internet! I'll watch with interest for answers from our ever-resourceful cooking community.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:15 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

What's a cake pop? Welcome to DC. We have lots of bakers here, but we can help you better if you show us a recipe.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

I can't see why it wouldn't work with chocolate, if you use bakers choc/covering choc as opposed to the expensive stuff it sets pretty hard anyway.

I was planning on trying this also as I've not found a cheap way of getting candy melts either! :)

To those who asked, a cake pop is essentially reconstituted cake on a stick covered in candy melt so it looks like a lollipop. I was under the impression that they were an American phenomenon.... I seem to be wrong LOL. They've made it into Starbucks over here in the UK.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #5
Master Chef

I looked up cake pops and found this Cake Pops Recipe Rhapsody
Looks like fun! Maybe I'll have to try these! Can you get almond bark locally or do you still have to have it shipped? I've tried chocolate chips to coat stuff but it seems like the consistency is not quite right for dipping. I usually have to add a little milk to chips to make it work and even then it doesn't always set up well. Good luck with your fundraiser!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:36 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Ooo those look yummy!

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 02:13 AM   #7
Master Chef

I have not made these but, I do make a cookie that uses a coating made of 12 ounces of semisweet chocolate chips and 1/4 bar of paraffin melted in a double boiler.
Old 08-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

I always like to use Vanleer chocolate and anytime i dip something i use Paramont crystals wich are hydronated palm kernal oil. it make sit smoother. I also put photoFrost designs on my cake pops to go along with the occasion.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:46 PM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by easycake View Post
I always like to use Vanleer chocolate and anytime i dip something i use Paramont crystals wich are hydronated palm kernal oil. it make sit smoother. I also put photoFrost designs on my cake pops to go along with the occasion.

Welcome to DC.

Josie
Old 08-30-2011, 03:10 PM   #10
Master Chef

I just melt chocolate chips in a double boiler and dip them in that. Either milk, dark or white chocolate. You can also use a bit of edible wax mixed into the chocolate to make the coating more resistant to melting.
Then add small candies, sprinkles, coconut, nuts etc for decoration or just drizzle dark chocolate with white or white with dark after the coating has set.
You can flavour the chocolate with extract or essence to compliment the cake flavour your using.
I like adding apple, lemon or caramel essence to white chocolate with vanilla cake. Yummy! Hope some of this help :)

"I hear voices and they don't like you "
Snip 13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cake, chocolate vs candy melts, other