"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-18-2012, 01:36 AM   #11
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,934
Crisco (or any shortening) is used in buttercream to make it more white. Half butter half shortening plus clear (artificial) vanilla is, unfortunately, the standard of our trade because most brides want nice white frosting on their cakes. I tend to use more butter, less shortening and real vanilla when using buttercream as a crumb coat layer under fondant because colour is not a factor and the taste is more important - fondant isn't the most enjoyable tasting stuff, though some of the commercial brands are making flavoured versions.

You can get away with not using shortening and get a fairly white frosting by using meringue buttercreams. There are several types but they make a nice looking and tasting frosting using a hot sugar syrup, butter and egg whites. I like to use this whenever I can because it not only tastes better but stands up to room temperature better as well.

I have never heard of shortening in fondant. I usually buy mine in bulk, but on the occasions I have made it I have used both the marshmallow and glycerine methods. Yes it is foul tasting stuff but when making it home made you can add any flavourings you want.

When I am making less formal cakes I will use simple butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk frostings and they work very well also.

Hope this helps!
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 01:50 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
Crisco (or any shortening) is used in buttercream to make it more white. Half butter half shortening plus clear (artificial) vanilla is, unfortunately, the standard of our trade because most brides want nice white frosting on their cakes. I tend to use more butter, less shortening and real vanilla when using buttercream as a crumb coat layer under fondant because colour is not a factor and the taste is more important - fondant isn't the most enjoyable tasting stuff, though some of the commercial brands are making flavoured versions.

You can get away with not using shortening and get a fairly white frosting by using meringue buttercreams. There are several types but they make a nice looking and tasting frosting using a hot sugar syrup, butter and egg whites. I like to use this whenever I can because it not only tastes better but stands up to room temperature better as well.

I have never heard of shortening in fondant. I usually buy mine in bulk, but on the occasions I have made it I have used both the marshmallow and glycerine methods. Yes it is foul tasting stuff but when making it home made you can add any flavourings you want.

When I am making less formal cakes I will use simple butter, icing sugar, vanilla and milk frostings and they work very well also.

Hope this helps!
That is what turns me off. The taste and the texture. I used to make meringue frosting. I don't know why I stopped. I should go back to it.
__________________

__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:29 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,882
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I live in Montréal. We take pride in food. We get good stuff in the bakeries here. I almost wish we didn't. It's so much easier to stay on a diet when that stuff with shortening is all that is tempting me.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 06:18 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I live in Montréal. We take pride in food. We get good stuff in the bakeries here. I almost wish we didn't. It's so much easier to stay on a diet when that stuff with shortening is all that is tempting me.
I am not a sweet eater. My idea of a treat in the sugar department is a Hershey bar or a Mounds. And I haven't had a candy bar since last summer. I bought a small Mounds. It cost 15 cents. I took one bite and had to spit it out. It was just too sweet for me. Being a diabetic, that is a good thing for me. It keeps me on the right path. I have never liked Italian sweets. But my biggest downfall is eclairs. Just walking past a bakery makes me want to go in and get a couple. I usually remove the chocolate frosting on the top. I only like the dark chocolate. Oh dear. Now I want a couple. There is a bakery right near my house. I will have to get dressed and go to get a couple.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 12:02 PM   #15
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
I love meringue frosting, but my first attempt (many moons ago) turned in to marshmallow, it was a hit!
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 02:49 PM   #16
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I live in Montréal. We take pride in food. We get good stuff in the bakeries here. I almost wish we didn't. It's so much easier to stay on a diet when that stuff with shortening is all that is tempting me.
I think if you asked your bakery you would find that the "good stuff" may contain some shortening - specially if it is pure white icing.

My buttercream contains shortening but everyone raves over the taste of it. I don't use a 50/50 blend but add more butter (unsalted which is less yellow) and less shortening. I have NEVER had a complaint about it tasting "yucky" from shortening.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:24 PM   #17
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 36,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPBeier View Post
I think if you asked your bakery you would find that the "good stuff" may contain some shortening - specially if it is pure white icing.

My buttercream contains shortening but everyone raves over the taste of it. I don't use a 50/50 blend but add more butter (unsalted which is less yellow) and less shortening. I have NEVER had a complaint about it tasting "yucky" from shortening.
Some stores use shortening only and you can tell, it has to be melted out of your mouth. I like real buttercream with all butter. Of course, it does not hold up well for decorating, it's too soft.

Okay, for my birthday, I'm putting in my request for a deep dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing...
__________________
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 03:44 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Addie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: East Boston, MA
Posts: 19,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
Some stores use shortening only and you can tell, it has to be melted out of your mouth. I like real buttercream with all butter. Of course, it does not hold up well for decorating, it's too soft.

Okay, for my birthday, I'm putting in my request for a deep dark chocolate cake with dark chocolate icing...
Consider it done. The Hershey frosting is not as sweet as a regular frosting. The cake is so moist. It is my favorite chocolate cake to make. And there is only melted butter in the frosting. No shortening.

If only there were some way to ship a cake and have it arrive in one piece. You can mark packages fragile, this side up, and any other direction you can think of. But the post office does not stop to read it. You have to pack it as if it were your child in there. It is up to you to protect the contents. I have several friends that I would be shipping this cake to them every year. Although I have been known to fly to their home to make it for them.
__________________
Illegitimi non carborundum!
I don't want my last words to be, "I wish I had spent more time doing housework"
Addie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:40 PM   #19
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,934
Okay, Addie, you beat me. I was going to tell Fiona I would make it for her with a nice dark chocolate ganache filling.
__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012, 04:46 PM   #20
Certified Cake Maniac
 
LPBeier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Great "Wet" North, Surrey, BC
Posts: 18,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I am not a sweet eater. My idea of a treat in the sugar department is a Hershey bar or a Mounds. And I haven't had a candy bar since last summer. I bought a small Mounds. It cost 15 cents. I took one bite and had to spit it out. It was just too sweet for me. Being a diabetic, that is a good thing for me. It keeps me on the right path. I have never liked Italian sweets. But my biggest downfall is eclairs. Just walking past a bakery makes me want to go in and get a couple. I usually remove the chocolate frosting on the top. I only like the dark chocolate. Oh dear. Now I want a couple. There is a bakery right near my house. I will have to get dressed and go to get a couple.
Addie, I have a diabetic chocolate cake that my Dad used to love! It was moist and looked and tasted like a regular chocolate cake. It doesn't use artificial sweeteners, but contains a lower amount of sugar and agave syrup. You could use honey instead.

As for eclairs. I could probably come up with a less sugar version of them too if you like. I am serious - once I finish this wedding cake this week I would love to play around with that! Then you could have the recipe and make them when you want (I will make it a small recipe!).
__________________

__________________
Living gluten/dairy/sugar/fat/caffiene-free and loving it!


http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
cake

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.