Cake without baking soda, baking powder or yeast?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There are a good number of sponge cake recipes that have no leavening agents in them except for beaten egg white. Here's an example: Can i bake a cake without baking powder or baking soda?why? - Yahoo! Answers

I have made other items that rise up tall and fluffy do to the beaten egg white, combined with flour and sugar, such as light and fluffy waffles, dutch babies (a kind of pancake), all things made with choux paste (eclairs, profiteroles, puffs, etc.).

Egg whites have enough body to trap air in a batter. When teh batter is then baked, that trapped air expands and leavens the end product. Combine that with the gluten from flour, and the textural addition of sugar (think cotton candy) and you can understand how these items can create a wonderfully light, and great cake.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Absolutely! British Christmas fruit cakes are made with all purpose ( plain ) flour as are the wedding cakes which are similar. I make my Christmas cakes about 3 months in advance to mature. My 'everyday' fruit cakes are similar but not as rich or fancy and never have raising agents in them .

Absolutely! British Christmas fruit cakes are made with all purpose ( plain ) flour as are the wedding cakes which are similar. I make my Christmas cakes about 3 months in advance to mature. My 'everyday' fruit cakes are similar but not as rich or fancy and never have raising agents in them .

Fruit cakes tend to rise quite a bit. Like from 0-90 proof!;)

Flourless or almost flourless chocolate cakes, such as the one Zereh posted, do not use leavening. Also, cheesecakes.

Back
Top Bottom