Cakes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
Been baking cake in 13x9x2 pan and having thin cakes. Reason being bec. Of the cake mix boxes being less amount than the old ones. Before was 18 oz. now 15 oz. ,would there be any problem with making up two boxes separately with the ingr. Called for on the box to make cake,and add to my pan. And use the rest for cupcakes? Is there any reason why this would be wrong? Or is there another way I could do this .....to make up the difference I need.

Last edited:
I just found this from the cake doctor. Use 1/2 cup flour, a little sugar if desired and 1/2 tsp. baking powder,or use 3 oz. of cake mix from second box. Has anyone tried the cake mix doctor advice when they made cake mix from the smaller size box. Would this also work to? Thanks for any advice

Last edited:
I just found this from the cake doctor. Use 1/2 cup flour, a little sugar if desired and 1/2 tsp. baking powder,or use 3 oz. of cake mix from second box. Has anyone tried the cake mix doctor advice when they made cake mix from the smaller size box. Would this also work to? Thanks for any advice

If you use some of a second cake mix, then what do you do with the partial cake mix?

The most foolproof way is to make two cake mixes and use the extra to make cupcakes.

From what I been reading you can freeze the extra cake mix or store in zip lock bags in the pantry.

From what I been reading you can freeze the extra cake mix or store in zip lock bags in the pantry.

OK.

You can also freeze baked cupcakes. You could also bake the remaining cake mix in a smaller pan and freeze the baked cake. SO does it all the time. then you can just defrost, frost and serve.

Yes, cake mixes have been downsized as if they weren't thin enough in a 9x13. I'd go with the two mixes, rather than measuring out of a second mix. If you go with two mixes, it's OK to mix them both at once in the same bowl, cake mixes are made to be pretty fool proof.

You can also make an "enhanced" cake mix recipe like this one, you'll only need one cake mix.

White Almond Wedding Cake Recipe - Allrecipes.com
From what I've read, it should still work with the new size cake mix.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/white-almond-wedding-cake/

Last edited:
You could also buy butter, sugar, flour, eggs, etc., and make your cake from scratch. Good cookery books tell you how much batter will fit in what size of tin.

Once you've bought the basic ingredients you'll have enough for more than one cake so it's cheaper, as well as tasting far and away better and being better for you, than anything in a packet that includes all sorts of chemicals, stabilisers and what-not.

Back
Top Bottom