Cakes raw in the center

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

alex566

Assistant Cook
For several years I have had this problem and not only with cakes, banana bread to. The other day I put cake batter in my FiestaWear cereal bowls and bake them. They were not to full or anything, but they still turned out with raw batter in the very center. Everytime I have made banana bread over the past few years it never bakes. I don't over fill it. I bake it for about an hour and test it. Even though it looks done, its not! The only part that gets cooked is the very very top, like the thin layer of skin covering the bread. Usually I would then cover it with foil so the top doesn't burn and then bake it for another hour, the extra hour didn't change a thing. What is going on?!? I don't thing its the oven because I have moved in the past year so I have had this problem in 2 ovens. help, thank you

Hi, alex. Do you have an oven thermometer? If you don't, I suggest you get one. Ovens, even brand new ones, can be off by several or quite a few degrees. Before you bake your cakes and breads, do you preheat the oven? This is an important step in baking. Some ovens can take as long as 20 minutes to preheat, which is about 1/3 of the time that banana bread bakes. If you're not preheating your oven, this could explain why your banana bread is undercooked.

So, get and use an oven thermometer and always preheat your oven. I would imagine you will get different results the next time you bake.

Thank you, yes I do always preheat my oven. And I have tried the oven thermometer but it is probably faulty also, I want a new one, but I am trying to save as much money as possible right now, all though I am probably throwing out a lot of money from all these baking disasters.

It sounds to me like your oven needs to be calibrated. Landlords don't worry too much about maintaining the calibration in their rented kitchens.

Looks to me like u are doing everything right.
I suggest that u make the oven 20 or 50C less the next time.;)

Me

Have you considered that FiestaWare is not exactly cake baking material [being semi-vitreous clay, old-style, or fully vitrified clay, new style] ??

1. turn temp down
2. bakes longer
3. cover 1 hour into time with foil
4. batter recipe must be able to take long baking ..

Back
Top Bottom