Cakes that call for oil?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What kind of cake are you looking for, Dina? I have one for a chocolate cake that calls for shortening, but not oil. I have another chocolate that calls for oil that is a mousse filled cake. But, it may have things that you don't have in your pantry. I'm guessing that your needing one that you already have ingredients for and you need to substitute the butter for the oil?

Dina,

Most carrot cakes that I know of use oil (probably why they are so moist in combination with the carrots) and there are plenty of delicious recipes out there--especially in southern "style" cookbooks. Hope this helps.

This is one that came from one of my favorite customers...It's McCommonly good!:

Mrs. McCommons’ Coffee Cake

1 package white cake mix
1 package instant vanilla pudding
1/2 cup oil
4 eggs
12 oz sour cream
1 teaspoon Vanilla
----filling----
1/2 cup Sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
1 cup nuts; chopped
----glaze----
1 cup powdered sugar
1//4 cup orange juice

Mix cake ingredients in large bowl. Pour 1/2 batter in greased and floured baking pan. Sprinkle 1/2 the filling over batter. Add the rest of the batter. Top with the rest of the filling. Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour. Mix together powdered sugar and orange juice. Drizzle over top while cake is still warm

Connie, that sounds like the old "Sock it to me cake". I've made it a cajillion times. Wonderful tasting and very moist. Goes in a hurry!

Almost any cake mix uses oil for their pudding cake, as the one posted above. Lots of artificial flavors however.
Carrot cakes are oil based cakes. Zucchini bread is oil based. Texas sheet cake has a version that uses oil.

licia said:
Connie, that sounds like the old "Sock it to me cake". I've made it a cajillion times. Wonderful tasting and very moist. Goes in a hurry!

I've heard of that cake...didn't know it was the same as this. I have been avoiding sweets, trying to lose a little weight, but I suddenly have a tremendous craving...and have all the ingredients on hand.

Somebody stop me!

Thank you all. I've copied and pasted your recipes to my recipe book. Had some ingredients missing in my fridge (like butter) so I posed the question. Anyway, what is the difference between baking some items with butter and others with oil?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom