"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-15-2005, 11:36 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Question Calling all cheesecake chefs!!!!!

HELP!! I am making a cheesecake for my son's 12th birthday party. I want to make it a recipe and a half. I'm using a springform pan. Can I just add half again the recipe? Will it bake through? HELP!!!

Old 07-16-2005, 12:16 AM   #2
Master Chef

If the basic recipe calls an 8-inch pan and you use a 12-inch there shouldn't be much of a problem.

If the recipe calls for a 10-inch pan, and you're going to use a deeper 10-inch pan - I would use a water bath and cook it about 10 minutes longer.

Old 07-16-2005, 01:41 AM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Hello cuz! Listen to anything Michael says. really. The water bath idea is fantastic.

PS - happy birthday to Mr Big 12!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:39 AM   #4
Assistant Cook

Thanks Michael and Jkath! I'm gonna go with it!
Old 07-16-2005, 10:58 AM   #5
Senior Cook

Location: Cicero, IL, but my heart is in Virginia where my family lives.
What is a water bath?

Last time we made cheese cake, I thought it was thin and would like very much to make it thicker next time.

Bryan
Old 07-16-2005, 01:07 PM   #6
Executive Chef

It's all about the texture
Eating cheesecake is a very sensual experience; texture is everything. Some recipes contain a small amount of starch, such as flour or cornstarch. These recipes will result in a cheesecake whose texture is slightly more firm and cakelike. These flour-containing cheesecakes can be baked directly on the oven rack at moderate temperatures. Cheesecake recipes that do not contain flour are intended to be delightfully smooth and silky. To achieve the proper texture, these cheesecakes must be baked in a water bath at a lower temperature.

I have to give my cheesecake a bath?
Cheesecake can be a delicate thing; you want to bake it slowly and evenly without browning the top. The most effective way to do this is to bake it in a water bath. This means that your cheesecake pan is surrounded by water as it bakes, receiving the more gentle, even heat of the water rather than the direct and uneven heat of the oven coils. To make a water bath, you set the cheesecake pan inside a roasting pan on the oven rack, then pour boiling water into the roasting pan until the water is at least halfway up the sides of the cheesecake pan (but NOT spilling over the top!).

Water bath pointers:
  • You should use a roasting pan that allows at least 2 inches of space between the edge of the cheesecake pan and the edge of the roasting pan. For example, if your cheesecake pan is 9 inches in diameter, use a roasting pan that's at least 13 inches across.
  • Place a heavy dishtowel in the bottom of the roasting pan before you set the cheesecake in it. This will protect the bottom of the cheesecake from receiving any direct heat from the oven coils.
  • Finally, be sure you fill the bath with water that is already boiling (heat a pot-full on the stovetop). If you don't start with boiling water, it will take a very long time for the water to get hot in the oven, and will throw off your baking time.
Old 07-16-2005, 01:13 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Has anyone ever made the cheesecake that you cook at night and leave in the oven all night? (turned off) It sounded like a great recipe, but I haven't made it and now don't know what I did with the recipe.
Old 07-17-2005, 11:49 AM   #8
Hospitality Queen

I want that recipe too!
Old 07-17-2005, 05:03 PM   #9
Master Chef

From experience; The recipe I use calls for a nine inch springform pan. I use a ten inch Kaiser brand springform pan. I do exactly what you have asked, half again the recipe. To brevent the crust from overcooking, I reduce the temperature by 25 degrees and increase the cooking time by 15 minutes before testing.

I don't use a water bath as I fear the springorm pan would leak. I might be wrong. Don't know. Haven't tried it. I imagine you could line the outside of the pan with plastic wrap, but I have visions of molten plastic wrap melted over the outside of my pan.

After the cheesecake is finished baking, I turn off the oven, crack open the door, and let the cheescake cool with the oven. This helps prevent the top from cracking.

Hope this helps.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2005, 07:25 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Take a piece of tin foil and set pan on it and pull sides of foil up the sides of pan then set in water.No worries of leaking that way.

Tags
None