Can coarse sugar be used to beat up egg white?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chueh

Senior Cook
When it comes to baking, I always would prefer healthier versions. Otherwise, I don't see the point to take the time and effort to use almost the same main ingredients, other than having fun or frustration....

I am wondering if I can substitute confectioner sugar with coarser less refined or processed sugar to beat up egg whites to make foams?

Thanks

I have never tried this, but I have read that you can put granulated sugar in a food processor and process to the texture of confectioner's sugar. I don't see why that wouldn't work with coarse sugar.

I don't think you can just use the coarse sugar to make egg foam. I don't think it will dissolve properly in the egg whites.

Sugar is sugar. There are no health factors involved in the different types of sugars. The same goes for honey, molasses and sorghum.

If you want healthier, go with organic blue agave nectar.

When it comes to baking, I always would prefer healthier versions. Otherwise, I don't see the point to take the time and effort to use almost the same main ingredients, other than having fun or frustration....

I am wondering if I can substitute confectioner sugar with coarser less refined or processed sugar to beat up egg whites to make foams?

Thanks

"Otherwise, I don't see the point to take the time and effort to use almost the same main ingredients."

I don't understand this. To me, there's no point in trying to make baking healthy because it's inherently not. We rarely have dessert so when we do enjoy sweets we just go for it :)

I don't think sugar is necessarily unhealthy. I think how much sugar one eats is the health concern. If I recall correctly, white sugar is about 99.9% sucrose and the least refined sugar is about 96% sucrose. I don't think less refined sugar is healthier. I often find it tastes better.

I agree with taxlady, it's the quantity of sugar that's unhealthy. If "coarse" sugar is the only sugar in the kitchen, run it in the blender to make it finer. Used as is, it might make your end product grainy.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom