Can I use Bisquick this way....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
bisquick

reason wanting to make a cake with it ...because you could. Seen on web site receipe for it with bisquick. And they say you can make this copycat receipe and keep it your cupboard....using shortening.

I've been making my own copycat Bisquick for many years. I used the recipe from Make a Mix Cookery, which I've had since about the late '70s I think. I've never refrigerated my homemade Bisquick. Just kept it in a cool dark place.

The fat I use is vegetable shortening (Crisco) which I've never refrigerated. The only reason I can see to refrigerate it is to lengthen the life of the leavening agent.

BTW, nearly all the recipes in this book are fantastic.

bisquick

is it true that any receipe that has flour,baking soda,powder you can use bisquick in place of.

Cake is made from flour, fat, eggs, sugar, salt, and a leavening agent. Bisquick is made from flour, fat, salt, and a leavening agent.

Depending on the cake, either baking soda, baking powder, or both serve to leaven the cake.

Egg emulsifies the fat, allowing it to combine with the flour, which removes the flaky texture found in pies. Water allows the gluten to develop, so that it will hold the CO2 bubbles that make the batter rise.

I have made very light, and fine-textured pancakes from Bisquick, but have never tried making a cake.

If I were going to make a cake from bisquick, I would warm the mix enough to liquify the fat, so that the egg can imulsify it. I would then look at my recipe and determine if the baking soda in the mix has anything to react with (i.e. buttermilk, vinager, citrus, etc.), and if not, add baking powder to the recipe.

I think that if you understand quicbreads, and what the various componants of the recipe do, then you could successfully make a light, and fine crumb cake with Bisquick. However, that being said, it's still easier to make a "from scratch" recipe, or use a box mix.

After all, the reason Bisquick was created, was to provide the consumer with a convenient product for making quickbreads (muffins, banana bread, muffins, pancakes, biscuits, etc.). The extra attention required to turn Bisquick into a good layer cake kind of defeats the purpose of the product.;)
Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

bisquick

thanks for all that information. I just wanted to know if it was true ,or if it was misleading that you can substitue bisquick in other recipes that have flour, shortening ,baking soda and powder.

bisquick

if this true, is there a rule or formula to figure it out?

bisquick

I found the formula to do this on e how web site. But it is not worth the work.In case any one wanted to know.:)

I use bisquick alot, but there are times I won't use it for awhile,
One time I didn't use it for atleast a month and when I went to use it was all buggy.
so alittle hint, I store my bisquick in the freezer. works out great!!!
I also store flours that I don't use often in the freezer to (like wheat, cake flour etc.) the only one that is left out is all purpose. I haven't found any problem with any of them.

Store them in air tight containers and you won't get bugs. That's why putting them in the freezer works, because the freezer is air tight. You can save your freezer for things that actually need to be frozen.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom