Carrot Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kristin DeMatti

Assistant Cook
What is your favorite Carrot Cake recipe? Here is my favorite recipe from Eating Made Easy. The recipe is so easy to make and it is a healthier version of carrot cake.

Ingredients

3 Large Eggs, room temperature
1 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 ½ cups Sugar
½ cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
½ cup Plain lowfat yogurt, room temperature
2 teaspoons Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
½ cup All Purpose Flour
1 ½ cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
2 teaspoons Baking Soda
1 teaspoon Kosher salt
½ teaspoon Ground ginger
3 cups Carrots, grated
1 cup Golden Raisins
½ cup Walnuts, chopped
¾ cup Lowfat Buttermilk
½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
3 cups Powdered Sugar
¼ cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature
8 ounces Light cream cheese
1 tablespoon Orange zest

Directions

1. Blend wet ingredients.
Preheat oven to 350. In a stand mixer, or large bowl using a hand mixer, blend together 1 stick butter, yogurt, and sugar. Add eggs one at a time and mix until each is blended before adding the next.

2. Blend dry ingredients.
In a separate bowl, mix together dry ingredients with a fork or whisk.

3. Combine all ingredients.
Turn the mixer onto low speed. Add 1/3 of the flour mixture to the mixing bowl, then 1/2 the buttermilk. Repeat until dry ingredients and buttermilk are gone. Toss the raisins and walnuts with 1 Tbsp flour in a small bowl, then add those along with the carrots to the batter.

4. Bake cake.
Pour batter into a greased 9x13 baking dish. Bake cake until a knife inserted into the middle comes out clean, about 35-40 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting (about 2 hours).

5. Make frosting.
After cleaning the mixing bowl, return it to the stand and blend together the butter and cream cheese. Add vanilla and orange zest. Add powdered sugar, 1/2 cup at a time (turn off mixer when adding) until frosting consistency is reached. Blend on high for 30 seconds to whip air into the frosting. Frost the cake and serve.

I hope you enjoy it! Do you have any other delicious cake recipes?

I have made this one several times, it is moist, and has "carrot" flavor. The first time I made it, I did so at the farm...we had some errands to run in the City. When we came home, the table was overturned and no cake left. The two Saints (Isabelle and I-Lean) had distinctive carrot-cake breath. Since then, I always make sure it is put safely away before I leave the kitchen. The kitchen table is not a safe place when you have Saint Bernards.

Recipe Details

Had a rat terrier that jumped into a chair and then onto the table to eat my daughter's birthday cake.

I haven't tried that carrot cake recipe, but I love raisins, so I'm sure it's delicious. The one I make uses crushed pineapple. I've made a lot of changes in the recipe to accommodate my diabetes and my grandson's type I diabetes. Unfortunately, his fluctuates so wildly that he rarely allows himself a treat.

Diabetic Carrot Cake

Ingredients:

¾ cup cooking Oil
3/4 cup water if not including the pineapple or 1/2 cup if you include it
2 cups Splenda
3 large eggs
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 tsp. cinnamon
2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. salt
2 cups shredded carrots
1 cup chopped walnuts
¼ cup crushed pineapple & 1/8 cup of the pineapple juice (Optional)

Preheat the oven to 350’ F.
Grease & flour a suitable rectangular 12 “ cake pan .
Combine the sugar, oil, vanilla, and eggs in a large mixing bowl. Add the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Mix thoroughly until smooth. Fold in the crushed pineapple and pineapple juice. Stir in until well mixed. Pour into the prepared cake pan and place the pan into the oven. Bake for 1 hour. Test by inserting a clean steel butter-knife into the cake center. If it comes out clean, then the cake is done.

Place on a cooking rack and let cool to room temperature.

Icing: I mix sugar-free vanilla, white chocolate or cheesecake flavor instant pudding mix with sugar-free Cool Whip.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom