"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-19-2017, 05:25 PM   #11
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix View Post
In the oven right now. Only our carrots were so massive this year 2c=1 carrot!
YUM! Love fresh carrot cake....

Old 10-06-2017, 12:30 PM   #12
Assistant Cook

Oh my! Carrot cake is my ultimate fave cake since childhood. I never tried baking it since it looks complicated for me. But thanks for sharing this recipe...I think I have to give it a try. Can you share a picture? Thanks.

Old 10-06-2017, 05:29 PM   #13
Sous Chef

Chief, would you permit me to send your recipe to my other Italian culinary newsgroup, it.hobby.cucina? I'm convinced it would be a huge success in Italy. I guarantee that all credits would be cited, as per normal in such situations, not only posting your name as the author but also DC as the site where it was published. Please let me know. Should you give me the go-ahead, I will post the information as it would appear on the Italian site, with translation attached.

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old 10-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #14
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Piling on the carrot cake love - here's my recipe which has evolved a bit over the years. It has a traditional southern sauce called "fat sauce" to soak the cake with prior to icing that is amazing.

Oven 350 | Prepare 3 9 inch cake pans (butter, flour and parchment)

Make Cake: Stir together first 4 dry ingredients and set aside.

Beat eggs and next 4 ingredients at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture, beating until blended. Fold in carrot and next 3 ingredients. Pour batter into prepared cake pans.

Bake at 350° for 25 to 30 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Drizzle Fat Sauce evenly over layers; cool in pans on wire racks 15 minutes. Cool completely and leave in pans until ready to assemble cake.

Fat Sauce: Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a large heavy pan over medium heat. Boil, stirring often, 4 minutes until golden brown. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.

Cream Cheese Frosting: 3 8 oz blocks cream cheese, 1/2 C butter, 1 Tbl lemon zest, pinch of cinnamon, vanilla, salt, 6 C powdered sugar.

Ingrediants

2 C flour
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon

3 eggs
2 C sugar
3/4 C vegetable oil
3/4 C buttermilk
2 tsp vanilla extract

2 C grated carrot
1 (8-oz) can crushed pineapple, drained
1 C unsweet grated coconut
1 C chopped pecans/walnuts

Fat Sauce
1 C sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 C buttermilk
1/2 C butter
1 Tbl light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract

Name:   carrot cake (2).jpg
Views: 48
Size:  21.5 KB
Old 10-21-2017, 12:44 AM   #15
Master Chef

After all this time, I hav to ask, did anyone actually make the carrot cake recipe, and did you like it?

Oh, I haven't been on DC much as i have been crazy busy the last couple months. I'm still crazy busy, but needed to touch base with all of my freinds on DC and say hi. Hi.

Can you believe that it was 70 degrees F her in Sault Ste. Siberiea today, Oct 20. Normallly we are having heavy frost and it's threatenting to snow. I just brought my hot pepper plants, and my e everbearing strawberries into the house to winter over. We'll see how that works.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 02:10 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I'm making 2, for neighbours. I'll have to do one at a time, as I only have one pan, and then I'll have to do another for OH. Can't wate for the results. By the way, did you ever make My cheese soufflè?

di reston

Enough is never as a feast Oscar Wilde
Old 10-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #17
Master Chef

D.R. I haven't made the soufle as I no longer have the recipe. But I remember reading it and thinking what a wonderful bunch of ingredients. Could you please send it again? And, feel free to share any recipe I post, unless I specifically ask for it not to be shared. I don't hink that has happened yet. And I've been on DC a long time

Seeeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cake, carrot, other