"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 04-01-2012, 02:32 AM   #1
Master Chef

Carrot Cake

I took a carrot cake to a church pot luck recently. One lady there told me that she hated carrot cake, but would take a piece for some of the cream cheese frosting. She came back later, gushing about how good the cake was and asked for the recipe. I told her I'd put it on DiscussCooking for her and anyone else who wanted it. So here it is. If you like your carrot cake moist and yummy, without dripping oil, like some recipes, try this one out. Everyone who's tried it, really likes it. I modified it from an recipe given to me by a long-departed freind. The original recipe almost dripped cooking oil when it was done. This recipe has the fat cut in half.

Chief Longwind's Favorite Carrot Cake
I modifieded my carrot cake recipe to reduce the fat and increase the flavor. It came out very good, medium light, moist and yummy. And so I share.

Dry Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger (optional)
1/4 tsp. ground cloves (optional)
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg (optional)

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup oil
4 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1/8 cup pineapple juice
Fruit & Nut Ingredients:
2 cups finely shredded carrots (aout seven carrots)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1 cup raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 355 F.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a balloon whisk. Put the raisins into a microwave safe bows and cover with tap water. Heat for two minutes on high and let them sit.

In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and oil with a whisk until smooth. Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.
Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Drain the raisins. Fold the fruits and nuts into the batter. Pour into a greased and floured 9X12 inch cake pan. Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Test with a clean butter knife by inserting the knife into the middle of the cake, to the pan bottom. If its clean when you pull it out, the cake is done. If not, set the timer for an additional 10 minutes and retest.

Frost with cream cheese frosting. Please use homemade as the store bought stuff doesn't compare.

Cream Cheese Cake Icing
Ingredients:
3 cups Powdered Sugar
3 tbs. milk (or water)
½ cup sweet-cream, unsalted Butter
16 oz. Cream Cheese

Melt butter. Add the cream cheese and stir with wire whisk, or beat with electric beater until well combined and smooth. combine the water and powdered sugar. Heat in the miscrowave for 30 seconds and stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Slowly Mix the powdered sugar into the cheese mixture until all is silky smooth. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.

This frosting is easily spread at room temperature. Its rich flavor compliments spice and carrot cakes, and can be used to fill puff pastry, bismarks, or Danish pastry. Personally, I like it chilled on whatever it’s put on. The texture is great either way. Enjoy.

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 03:13 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Goodweed mate I have baked all sorts of cakes but never a carrot one.I trust you as the recipe you sent me when I first came here as a fried chicken virgin is one of my regular summer feasts.
I am going to give the cake a bash next week

Old 04-01-2012, 09:59 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolas De Fraile View Post
Goodweed mate I have baked all sorts of cakes but never a carrot one.I trust you as the recipe you sent me when I first came here as a fried chicken virgin is one of my regular summer feasts.
I am going to give the cake a bash next week
Better make two! When the first one disappears, you'll wish you had. It won't be the last time you make it either. Hands down it is my favorite cake.
Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Senior Cook

Thank you! Looks good, and I'm in a cake-baking mood today as it is April 1st and snowing big flakes (after a warm 2 weeks). Nothing soothes these old nerves like a slice of homemade cake.

I've got a strawberry loaf in the oven now.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:07 AM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
Better make two! When the first one disappears, you'll wish you had. It won't be the last time you make it either. Hands down it is my favorite cake.
Keep it where the dog can't get it--Saint Bernards are partial to carrot cake (imagine mastiffs are too!) and will climb on the counter to get it. Lesson learned--carrot cake is stored in the microwave or fridge.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
Keep it where the dog can't get it--Saint Bernards are partial to carrot cake (imagine mastiffs are too!) and will climb on the counter to get it. Lesson learned--carrot cake is stored in the microwave or fridge.
Good thing we have pugs! We did have a mix that had a steak cicle once and was kind enough to leave one piece of chicken for us from a skillet of smothered chicken.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

That looks similar to one that I make. I was concerned when I saw that it used 1/2 of the oil that a typical carrot cake does, even though I feel that 1 1/2 cups is excessive.

It came out wonderful, very moist and didn't need the additional oil. I don't advocate reducing fat in baking recipes, but in this case it actually improved the cake in my opinion.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 06:50 PM   #8
Master Chef

I don't do much baking but Carrot Cake is my all time favorite. I'll have to try your recipe Chief.

Many years ago I made a Carrot Cake with a pecan/butter/brown sugar topping that was broiled onto the 9X13 cake till it was bubbling brown. It was outstanding, and a nice change from the standard cream cheese frosting.

Now see what you did? I gotta have it!

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cake, carrot, other