"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 08-18-2013, 08:11 PM   #1
Master Chef

Carrot Cake Fool

Bake up one standard carrot cake, and let it cool. Break it up into bite-sized pieces, and place into a glass bowl. Add apple pie filling and fold in. Make home-made butterscotch sauce, and drizzle over the cake and apple mixture. Fold in and refrigerate. Serve cold with a dollop of whipped cream. This fool is so moist and flavorful. It so refreshing, with a complex and yummy flavor. Here are the recipes for the cake, and the butterscotch sauce.

Carrot Cake:

I modifieded my carrot cake recipe to reduce the fat and increase the flavor. It came out very good, medium light, moist and yummy. And so I share.

Dry Ingredients:
2 1/4 cups all purpose flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. cinnamon
1/4 tsp. ground ginger
1/4 tsp. ground cloves
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg

Wet Ingredients:
3/4 cup oil
4 large eggs
1/2 cup water
1 tbs. dark mollases
1/8 cup pineapple juice

Fruit & Nut Ingredients:
2 cups finely shredded carrots (aout seven carrots)
1 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup crushed pineapple
1 cup raisins

Preheat oven to 355 F.
Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a balloon whisk. Put the raisins into a microwave safe bows and cover with tap water. Heat for two minutes on high and let them sit.

In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and oil with a whisk until smooth. Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.

Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Drain the raisins. Fold the fruits and nuts into the batter. Pour into a greased and floured 9X12 inch cake pan. Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Test with a clean butter knife by inserting the knife into the middle of the cake, to the pan bottom. If its clean when you pull it out, the cake is done. If not, set the timer for an additional 10 minutes and retest.

Butterscotch Sauce

Ingredients
4 tablespoons unsalted butter

1 cup of tightly packed dark brown sugar

¾ cup heavy whipping cream (not ultra-pasteurized)

1 tablespoon vanilla extract

1 teaspoon kosher salt

Have all of the ingredients together.
Melt the butter over low heat. add the brown sugar and stir with a wooden spoon until it turns into a thick liquid. Add the whipping cream and stir until the sugar, butter, and cream well blended. Add the salt and vanilla. Whisk together. Pout into a clean jar. Seal and refrigerate.

Enjoy.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

That looks delicious!

One of the carrot cakes that I make only has 3/4 cup oil. So many recipes have 1 1/2 cups and to be honest, that's overkill. I'm not at all afraid of fat, but the 3/4 cup recipe comes out so tender and moist, I can't imagine having to double the oil.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2013, 11:15 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is my absolute fave, and it must have raisins and nuts! Your caramel sauce sounds delish!

Thanks Chief!
Old 08-19-2013, 04:51 AM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

This sounds delicious, I love carrot cake and often make it with the cream cheese icing
Old 08-19-2013, 09:11 AM   #5
Master Chef

Chief,

That sounds wonderful!

I used to eat at a restaurant in the Adirondacks that made a similar dessert using various giant muffins. They would warm a moist banana, carrot or cranberry muffin, break it into a parfait glass, drizzle hot butterscotch sauce over it, top it with a small scoop of vanilla ice cream and then a dollop of whipped cream!

Served warm it made a great fall dessert!

So many recipes, so little time!

Old 08-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
Carrot cake with cream cheese frosting is my absolute fave, and it must have raisins and nuts! Your caramel sauce sounds delish!

Thanks Chief!
I like the cream cheese frosting too Dawg, but back in the days when I used to bake I baked it in a 9X13 pan and used to broil the topping made of butter, brown sugar, coconut and nuts. Dang, was that ever good all brown and bubbling. Yumm Yumm. I may have to break down and get out my mixing bowls.

Looks like a great recipe there Chief......

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 05:19 PM   #7
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post

Thanks Chief!
That's butterscotch sauce, and it's so much better than anything you can purchase at the store. Try it and you'll be using it on all kinds of things. It's yummy.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2013, 07:15 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
That's butterscotch sauce, and it's so much better than anything you can purchase at the store. Try it and you'll be using it on all kinds of things. It's yummy.
Oops, my bad, Chief! And I probably would be using it on all sorts of things!
Old 08-23-2013, 05:41 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
back in the days when I used to bake I baked it in a 9X13 pan and used to broil the topping made of butter, brown sugar, coconut and nuts. Dang, was that ever good all brown and bubbling. Yumm Yumm. I may have to break down and get out my mixing bowls.
I like the sound of that Kayelle
Old 08-23-2013, 06:45 PM   #10
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kylie1969 View Post
I like the sound of that Kayelle
I think you'd like it Kylie. Because you broil on the topping (watch carefully), it turns out almost like brown sugar candy on the top.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
recipe, butterscotch, cake, carot cake, carrot

Carrot Cake Fool [SIZE=3]Bake up one standard carrot cake, and let it cool. Break it up into bite-sized pieces, and place into a glass bowl. Add apple pie filling and fold in. Make home-made butterscotch sauce, and drizzle over the cake and apple mixture. Fold in and refrigerate. Serve cold with a dollop of whipped cream. This fool is so moist and flavorful. It so refreshing, with a complex and yummy flavor. Here are the recipes for the cake, and the butterscotch sauce. [FONT=Verdana]Carrot Cake: [/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=3]I modifieded my carrot cake recipe to reduce the fat and increase the flavor. It came out very good, medium light, moist and yummy. And so I share.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]Dry Ingredients:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]2 1/4 cups all purpose flour[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]2 cups sugar[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1 tsp baking powder[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]2 tsp baking soda[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1 tsp. salt[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]2 tsp. cinnamon[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1/4 tsp. ground ginger[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1/4 tsp. ground cloves[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]Wet Ingredients:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]3/4 cup oil[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]4 large eggs[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1/2 cup water[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1 tbs. dark mollases[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1/8 cup pineapple juice[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]Fruit & Nut Ingredients:[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]2 cups finely shredded carrots (aout seven carrots)[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1 cup chopped walnuts[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1/4 cup crushed pineapple[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]1 cup raisins[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]Preheat oven to 355 F.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]Combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl with a balloon whisk. Put the raisins into a microwave safe bows and cover with tap water. Heat for two minutes on high and let them sit.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]In a separate bowl, combine the eggs and oil with a whisk until smooth. Add the remaining wet ingredients and whisk until smooth.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]Pour the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients and whisk until smooth. Drain the raisins. Fold the fruits and nuts into the batter. Pour into a greased and floured 9X12 inch cake pan. Place into the oven and bake for 45 minutes. Test with a clean butter knife by inserting the knife into the middle of the cake, to the pan bottom. If its clean when you pull it out, the cake is done. If not, set the timer for an additional 10 minutes and retest.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=2]Butterscotch Sauce[/SIZE][/FONT] [B][FONT="]Ingredients[/FONT][/B] [FONT="]4 tablespoons unsalted butter[/FONT][FONT="] [/FONT] [FONT="]1 cup of tightly packed dark brown sugar[/FONT][FONT="] [/FONT] [FONT="]¾ cup heavy whipping cream (not ultra-pasteurized)[/FONT][FONT="] [/FONT] [FONT="]1 tablespoon vanilla extract[/FONT][FONT="] [/FONT] [FONT="]1 teaspoon kosher salt[/FONT] Have all of the ingredients together. Melt the butter over low heat. add the brown sugar and stir with a wooden spoon until it turns into a thick liquid. Add the whipping cream and stir until the sugar, butter, and cream well blended. Add the salt and vanilla. Whisk together. Pout into a clean jar. Seal and refrigerate. Enjoy. Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North 3 stars 1 reviews