"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 07-19-2010, 10:42 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Bakechef - I would buy the American Test Kitchen book before any other if only because it lays flat. I hate those cookbooks that you have to stick in a cookbook holder and even then you can't see half the page. I looked up reviews for it; what I can't understand how it can be hard-covered, over 500 pages, and then be relatively inexpensive. What's the catch. Anyway it explains why certain ways of baking "work". That is what I want to know.

Urmaniac, we are on the same page here, aren't we, re that wonderful stuff called Butter. Really glad to see your post!

Re chocolate chip cookies & Bittman's writing. I have to read this. I follow the instructions on the back of the bag but they seem never to work. Oh, the family eats them, but they are not the way c.c. cookies are supposed to be. I need to figure out why.

Old 07-19-2010, 12:24 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daizymae View Post
Bakechef - I would buy the American Test Kitchen book before any other if only because it lays flat. I hate those cookbooks that you have to stick in a cookbook holder and even then you can't see half the page. I looked up reviews for it; what I can't understand how it can be hard-covered, over 500 pages, and then be relatively inexpensive. What's the catch. Anyway it explains why certain ways of baking "work". That is what I want to know.

Urmaniac, we are on the same page here, aren't we, re that wonderful stuff called Butter. Really glad to see your post!

Re chocolate chip cookies & Bittman's writing. I have to read this. I follow the instructions on the back of the bag but they seem never to work. Oh, the family eats them, but they are not the way c.c. cookies are supposed to be. I need to figure out why.
I paid around $25 for mine on amazon, a really good deal for a binder cookbook. I have also seen it at BJ's club for around the same price.

I would'nt order it directly from cook's illustrated, they have been known to enroll you in a cookbook club (keep sending cookbooks). Too bad they do this, since they are otherwise a very reputable company.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:38 PM   #13
Senior Cook

I've made my carrot cake with oil and butter and I'd have to agree that the cake made with oil was more moist. However, I think I like the flavor better when I use butter.

Here's my old family recipe for carrot cake. Everyone says it's the best they've ever tasted.

Carrot Cake

2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp baking powder
2 tsp cinnamon
2 cups shredded carrots
1 1/2 cups oil or melted butter
4 eggs
3/4 cup drained crushed pineapple
1 cup nuts (walnut, pecan, or almonds)

Add eggs, oil, carrots, pineapple and nuts to dry ingredients and mix well.
pour batter into greased and floured 9X13 pan and bake at 350 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes. Do the toothpick test.

Frosting

1 cup softened butter
8 oz cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
1 1 lb box powdered sugar

Mix well and spread on cooled cake.
Old 07-27-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
Mr. Greenjeans

Sedagive, I am going to make and eat that whole cake.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:18 PM   #15
Senior Cook

Dear sedagive. That is a nice recipe and, not having made a carrot cake in years due to disgust with all that oil, I badly wanted to try it. So, I did, last night.

But I had no pineapple in the house, and insufficient butter, to make it. What do do! We live 15 miles from town and couldn't go running there for cake ingredients.

So I was hoping I would have your blessing to change your recipe according to what I did have in the house: coconut fat + some butter. Both saturated fats!

I reduced sugar slightly; omitted baking powder; used 1/2 soft coconut fat + 1/2 butter; and used 3 cups packed shredded carrots to compensate for lack of pineapple.

This is one of the best cakes I have ever tasted. So help me, I am not exaggerating; we can't stop eating it. No icing was necessary. Thanks for getting me started on an (optional) no-oil carrot cake.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Daizymae, I'm so glad it worked out for you. I do hope you'll try it with the frosting some time so you get the full effect.
Old 07-28-2010, 02:09 AM   #17
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy3k View Post
Sedagive, I am going to make and eat that whole cake.
No Bigdaddy your gonna make that cake and send me half!!!

Tags
None