Carrot cake problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Otter

Sous Chef
I've used the same carrot cake recipe for some time with good results. Two times ago it didn't rise as high as usual. I only use one pan (sheet cake not layer), so I halve the recipe and thought I must have made a mistake there. This time I paid meticulous attention and know I halved the recipe correctly, but it rose even less. My baking powder is very fresh. My baking soda isn't quite as fresh, but has been working fine in biscuits - am wondering if a carrot cake is heavier and needs more lift? Or, any other suggestions? It tasted fine, but I would like a better rise and a more open texture.

How about your eggs? I've had trouble before if they're not fresh, too. Are you using the right size?

You have me stumped, otter! Since you've made the recipe before with good results, I can't think of anything else offhand. I'll think about it some more and see if I come up with anything else.

PA Baker said:
How about your eggs? I've had trouble before if they're not fresh, too. Are you using the right size?
I used correct size, they were reasonably fresh, and I brought them to room temperature. :(

What size pan did you use for your 'half' recipe? I've gotten into trouble when I've mucked about with a recipe and then used a too-large or too-small pan.

marmalady said:
What size pan did you use for your 'half' recipe? I've gotten into trouble when I've mucked about with a recipe and then used a too-large or too-small pan.
Can't be that - receipe called for two 9x9x1.5 pans and I used one. I make this about once a month, so I'm going to try it with some freshly bought baking soda next time - don't know what else it could be.

Carrot Cake Rising

Hi there,
I am thinking if you used cake and pastry flour instead of all-purpose maybe and try separating eggs to make a egg white whipped and then fold into rest to make alittle fluffier. I would try also getting some fresher baking soda (or was is powder?)
Just a suggestion...let me know!!!:chef:

Some recipes don't take well to being changed - either reduced or multiplied - it may be that one. I don't usually change a recipe. If I only need one layer, I prepare one for freezing and use the other. If I need more, I make an additional recipe.

Baking soda is merely bicarbonate of soda and shouldn't be adversly affect by age. Baking powder, on the other hand, will definitely be affected by age and lose some of its leavening potential.

That being said, I would have to think that mixing more air into the batter, either through vigorous whisking, or the use of an electric mixer wouldn't help the volume.

Your carrot cake rises due to the carbon dioxide given off by the chemical reactions of the acid and alkalye ingredients in the baking powder, and by the alkaye baking soda reacting with the acidic egg-white. Also, the egg protien couple with the wheat gluten helps trap that gas, causing the cake to rise.

Are you using a double-acting baking powder? This has more leavening power than ordinary baking powder. Also, the amount of oil in the recipe can make the cake heavy. Cooking too quickly can have an adverse effect. When you make the original recipe, do you cook both cakes simultaneously? That will cause the available heat energy to be devided by the two cakes, increasing the cooking time. This may allow the cakes to rise better. If that's the case, decrease the oven temp by about fifteen degrees.

I have found that adding additional baking powder, about an extra tsp., will make the cake lighter, but can also make it too "loose". That is, the crumb won't hold together. The cake will literally crumble when trying to remove pieces from it. But your cake is too dense, and this might just do the trick for you.

My recomendation, decrease the cooking temp, and add an extra tsp. of double-acting baking powder to the recipe.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

I don't bake so my very uneducated guess is that sometimes when doubling or halving a recipe you don't double or halve all of the ingredients proportionately. It's that science thing which is why I stick to cooking! lol So, bake the whole thing and freeze one - of I could PM you my address. I'll ice it when it gets here :mrgreen:

Goodweed of the North said:
That being said, I would have to think that mixing more air into the batter, either through vigorous whisking, or the use of an electric mixer wouldn't help the volume.

Your carrot cake rises due to the carbon dioxide given off by the chemical reactions of the acid and alkalye ingredients in the baking powder, and by the alkaye baking soda reacting with the acidic egg-white. Also, the egg protien couple with the wheat gluten helps trap that gas, causing the cake to rise.

Goodweed, I am sorry, but I'm not getting this.

It was my belief that if your egg whites are whipped and folded into your cake batter, the eggs can make your cake rise better. I thought that this was the purpose.

Now if I am wrong....feel free somebody to jump in.

Well, it appears that I am leading the parade for Dumb Bunny of the Week. I checked the expiration date on my baking powder again and it expired several months ago! I remember now that I bought it about a month ago at a small country store because I didn't want to drive into town for just one item. I check expirations dates religiously, but the owner was so glad to have someone in her store that she was talking constantly and I got distracted. I also now remember that I bought the stuff for the first carrot cake with the rising problems. When I checked the expiration date immediately after the problems with the second cake I misread 04 for 06 because the dots were really faint. Well, at least there is now peace in the valley.

I am so sorry. That "wouldn't" in my last post should have been a "would". That was a typo.

Indeed, air mixed into the batter is already a trapped gas that will expand when it is heated, adding volume to the cake. And whipping hte egg-whites into a marangue further helps keep it from escaping. So by all means, mix in the air, either directly into the batter, or by way of a marangue. The rest of my post still holds true however.

Sorry about that. :blink:

Cool. I was hoping it was a typo.

I know I was surprised when I read it. You are always so accurate.

Goodweed of the North said:
I am so sorry. That "wouldn't" in my last post should have been a "would". That was a typo.
Seeeya; Goodweed of the North
I was having a bit of trouble with that statement, because I always try to get a goodly amount of air incorportated. Your statement that the problem wouldn't be the baking soda, however, led me to look again at the baking powder rather than replace the baking soda, and that turned out to be the culprit, so thanks!

Otter said:
Well, it appears that I am leading the parade for Dumb Bunny of the Week. I checked the expiration date on my baking powder again and it expired several months ago! I remember now that I bought it about a month ago at a small country store because I didn't want to drive into town for just one item. I check expirations dates religiously, but the owner was so glad to have someone in her store that she was talking constantly and I got distracted. I also now remember that I bought the stuff for the first carrot cake with the rising problems. When I checked the expiration date immediately after the problems with the second cake I misread 04 for 06 because the dots were really faint. Well, at least there is now peace in the valley.

You can check for the 'strength" of baking powder by putting a 1/4 tsp in the palm of your hand and drizzling in some warm water--like a Tbs or so. It should vigorously foam and bubble immediately. The longer it takes to react to the water, the older and less powerful it is.

chefcyn said:
You can check for the 'strength" of baking powder by putting a 1/4 tsp in the palm of your hand and drizzling in some warm water--like a Tbs or so. It should vigorously foam and bubble immediately. The longer it takes to react to the water, the older and less powerful it is.
I bought some this morning, so I tried your recommendation and it foamed it's little heart out. :mrgreen: The baking soda was right next to the baking powder and cheap so I replaced that also and put the old one in the refer.

I have posted my carrot cake recipe here for any one who want's to make a lovely moist cake;
8 ozs self raising flour
4 ozs hard margarine
4 ozs sugar
6 ozs grated carrots
1 tablespoon of set honey
6 ozs of sultanas or raisins
2 ozs of chopped walnuts
2 eggs
Beat the sugar and marg together till fluffy
add the eggs and flour and stir together
now add all the rest of the ingredients, and mix it all together
Put this mix into a 1 pound loaf tin , that has been greased and lined with paper
bake this in the oven on gas mark 4 for 45 mins or till a nice golden color on top
When the cake is cold mix together some icing sugar and 1 tablespoon of lemon juice
just so that it is runny, drizzle this over the cake.
Now you can eat it !
" Happy cake making "
VIV...

Back
Top Bottom