"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Carrot cake - substituting butter for oil

Hello,

I've recently made carrot cake which tasted excellent but the day after it turned a bit dry and crumbly. I recall someone saying in a previous thread that oil prevents this from happening. I was thinking of changing to oil though my mother like the taste of the butter in the recipe.

So my question is, am I able to use both butter and oil?? and what ratio of them both should I use?

p.s The recipe uses 185g butter if that helps

Old 01-17-2012, 05:25 PM   #2
Master Chef

Butter has a bit of water in it. And so, substituting 1/2 oil and 1/2 butter should do the trick for you. Also, the carrot cake recipe that I first was given (many years back) called for a rediculous amount of cooking oil. the cake never dried out, but would ooze oil if squeezed. I cut the oil in half, and the carrot cake was wonderfully moist, without dripping oil. For a good estimate of the amount of fat required, I go by three tbs. fat for every cup of flour in the recipe. That's a very rough rule of thumb. Use with wisdom.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 08:51 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

I use heavy duty mayonaise & crushed pineapple in my carrot cake & it turns out real moist.
Old 01-17-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Most carrot cake recipes that make 2 8" layers or a 9x13 call for 1 1/2 cups oil. I tried a recipe on allrecipes that called for 1/2 that amount, 3/4 cup and it was still wonderfully moist. I usually don't advocate reducing fat in baked goods but this time it worked well. Sam's Famous Carrot Cake Recipe - Allrecipes.com

Butter probably won't add much flavor to a carrot cake since there are so many flavors going on between the spices, carrots, nuts and sometimes pineapple. Butter really makes more difference in delicately flavored cakes like white or yellow.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 11:10 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

I have made this one several times. I have made a lot of carrot cakes, but I would say this one is my favorite (so far):

Recipe Details
Old 01-18-2012, 10:05 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
I have made this one several times. I have made a lot of carrot cakes, but I would say this one is my favorite (so far):

Recipe Details
That's the same recipe that my best friend uses and it is wonderful! I believe that it is originally from "The Silver Palate Cookbook".

I keep it in google docs because it seems every time she wants to make the cake, she has misplaced the book, LOL!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:12 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
That's the same recipe that my best friend uses and it is wonderful! I believe that it is originally from "The Silver Palate Cookbook".

I keep it in google docs because it seems every time she wants to make the cake, she has misplaced the book, LOL!
If the LCBO used it from another source, it would be credited, otherwise it is a copyright violation. I do know that all of the LCBO recipes are tested before published in Food&Drink. I will have drag out my Silver Palette cookbook and compare the two.
Old 01-18-2012, 10:50 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
If the LCBO used it from another source, it would be credited, otherwise it is a copyright violation. I do know that all of the LCBO recipes are tested before published in Food&Drink. I will have drag out my Silver Palette cookbook and compare the two.
I brought up the google doc and they are the same except the silver palette called for all pureed carrots I think and this one also calls for some shredded. Great recipe though! Wasn't tryin' to cause trouble!

Tags
butter, cake, carrot, oil