"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 11-08-2011, 09:39 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cheerwine Cake

cheerwine cake

Ingredients:
1 box Devil’s Food cake mix
1 cup Cheerwine soft drink
1 tsp almond extract flavoring

Directions:
Mix the cake mix as directed on the box, but use the Cheerwine in place of water for the liquid. Also, add the almond extract which is not called for on the box mix.
Bake the cake as directed on the cake mix box.
Then, make the Cheerwine Cake Frosting.

Cheerwine Cake Frosting

Ingredients:
cup butter or margarine (let soften)
1/3 cup Cheerwine soft drink
cup cocoa (baking powdered chocolate - usually near the flour in the grocery)
1 lb box powdered sugar (or 2 cups if bought in bulk bag)
tsp almond extract flavoring

Directions:
Mix together butter and Cheerwine with a mixer. Add cocoa, powdered sugar, and almond extract and mix until smooth.
Spread frosting on cool Cheerwine Cake

Old 11-08-2011, 10:19 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

your just mad cause you dont have cheerwine up there in New York i think if you was to try it you would like it try to use cheery dr. pepper

Old 11-08-2011, 11:29 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

That could be interesting. I am not a huge fan of cheerwine on it own, but in a cake, I would imagine it could be quite tasty.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #4
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
I would not like it with any soda in it. I am allergic to all the additives in soda. Don't use cake mixes, either.

Too easy to bake from scratch. Don't want the chemicals.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:39 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Hi ChefJune,
I've had Cheerwine cake, from this recipe. It's really good and everyone I've made it for loves it.
However, being a confirmed sourdough baker I had to find a way out of using a box cake. So I found a really good sourdough chocolate cake recipe and substituted Cheerwine for the water, and used the Cheewine icing recipe. Wonderful!!
Then I ran out of Cheerwine and tried Dr. Pepper. Pretty good but not as good. So I tried Cheery Nehi soda. Worked great. Love the cake. I never drink cherry soda but there's always some in the house, unless I get my hands on some Cheerwine.
Since you are allergic to the soda additives try cherry extract, or cheery juice, for some of the liquid and water for the rest.

Tags
cake, cheerwine deivls food, recipe

Cheerwine Cake [FONT=Calibri][SIZE=3][COLOR=#0000ff]cheerwine cake[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman][B][I]Ingredients:[/I][/B][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]1 box Devil’s Food cake mix[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]1 cup Cheerwine soft drink[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]1 tsp almond extract flavoring[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman][B][I]Directions:[/I][/B][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Mix the cake mix as directed on the box, but use the Cheerwine in place of water for the liquid. Also, add the almond extract which is not called for on the box mix.[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Bake the cake as directed on the cake mix box. [/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Then, make the Cheerwine Cake Frosting.[/FONT] [B][I][U][FONT=Segoe Script]Cheerwine Cake Frosting[/FONT][/U][/I][/B] [FONT=Times New Roman][B][I]Ingredients:[/I][/B][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman] cup butter or margarine (let soften)[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]1/3 cup Cheerwine soft drink[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman] cup cocoa (baking powdered chocolate - usually near the flour in the grocery)[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]1 lb box powdered sugar (or 2 cups if bought in bulk bag)[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman] tsp almond extract flavoring[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman][B][I]Directions:[/I][/B][/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Mix together butter and Cheerwine with a mixer. Add cocoa, powdered sugar, and almond extract and mix until smooth.[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman]Spread frosting on cool Cheerwine Cake[/FONT] [FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT] 3 stars 1 reviews